6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 6:29 AM by Szalam

How to motion track a still image?

eiknachui Level 1

Hi.

I have a .jpg image ("FLY BODY", see printscreen below) which is animated buy using Puppet Tool only.

I would like to track the motion of the layer but all the menu buttons in Tracker window are greyed out (and all the Options in Motion Source menu)

How can i track the motion of a still image then?

motion track still image.jpg

• 1. Re: How to motion track a still image?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Precompose the puppet layer, ensuring to move all attributes to the pre comp.

• 2. Re: How to motion track a still image?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andrew is right.

However, if it's animation you've created, you might be better-suited with tying values together with expressions or otherwise working with your actual animation data rather than motion-tracking something. What, exactly, are you trying to do?

• 3. Re: How to motion track a still image?
              eiknachui Level 1

"FLY BODY" layer has 3 puppet pins (HEAD, CHEST and PELVIS). Only the HEAD pin is being animated throughout the comp, to give an impression of a moving/ducking boxer's body. The problem is, that "ARM" and "FOREARM" layers do not follow "FLY BODY" movements, even though "FOREARM" is parented to "ARM" and the latter is parented to "FLY BODY" layer. If i precompose the "FLY BODY" layer, it means that i must animate the body movements first and only then can i animate the limbs. But i want to animate the body and the limbs simultaneously and it would be great if the root of every limb could "stick" to the body movements. In the printscreen there's only 1 limb (2 layers) visible but there are 5 more of them in my comp

• 4. Re: How to motion track a still image?

I would precompose, add expression control effects to your precomp and tie the rotation of the arm parts to those expression control effects. That way you can animate everything in one comp.

• 5. Re: How to motion track a still image?
                  eiknachui Level 1

I precomposed the "Body" layer, then added 3 puppet points and animated one of them. But when i try to track the motion, the "Body" simply does not move when i hit "Analyze forward". It moves when previewing in Composition panel but in Layer panel it stands still

• 6. Re: How to motion track a still image?

That's because the layer window only looks at the layer's inherent motion and not any effects that are applied. You'll have to precompose again (making sure to move all attributes) if you want to motion track it.

Again, I think motion tracking is a bad idea. It leaves you with no flexibility. If a client/director/you makes a change, you will have to redo all your motion tracking. Whereas if you simply use expressions and precomping, you're not having to bake any part of your animation.