9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2014 8:32 AM by bob frost

Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files

rokkorfan

Hi all,

I'm trying to change the capture date of files from one camera after it was incorrectly set up with a wrong date. I've tried using metadata/Edit capture time but it will only change one image at a time. I have double checked that "Show metadata for target photo only" is not checked, and also - no matter how many photos I select it only shows the metatdata for the primary photo in the metadata panel - it never shows "mixed" the way it should.

It's basically like the "Show metadata for target photo" is ticked, but it isn't. My system is up to date, can't understand why it won't do this but it's driving me crazy.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you in Grid mode or using the thumbnail along the bottom?  Grid is the usual way to change multiple images.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files
            bob frost Level 3

I had the same problem only yesterday with 5.6. I was in grid mode, and had to resort to ExiftoolGUI to do batches, and then read files in LR which puts a stupid RESET on top of history, which I have to step back from manually. Grrrr!

In addition, I think LR only changes the capture date in xmp in the raw file, NOT in Exif. So ExifToolGUI is better, even if LR was working properly.

Bob Frost

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files
              rokkorfan Level 1

I'm working in grid mode, I've read all the online info so I'm doing it right, it's just not working correctly.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

If you're positive you're in grid mode and it's still not working, then try deleting the preferences file:

Resetting (or 'Trashing') the Lightroom Preferences file - Lightroom Forums

Note carefully that on OS X 10.9 and later, you need to restart your computer.

Resetting the preferences file is magic fairy dust that fixes a surprising number of problems.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files
                  bob frost Level 3

I've had to trash the prefs file to fix problems about 3 times in the last month. It's about time they fixed it!!!

Bob Frost

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files
                    bob frost Level 3

I managed to get altering the Capture date to work on a few files yesterday, but then it stopped again, and restarting LR got it working again for a while. It seems very fussy about the capture date you are inserting, and doesn't seem to like putting the same Capture date/time into different files. It also only updates the raw file when you save it out, and that adds an xmp sidecar that I don't want.

It also only updates the DateTimeOriginal in the Exif  IFD. Some of my nefs also have a DateTimeOriginal record in IFD0, so LR leaves the file with different dates in different parts of EXif!! If I use ExifToolGUI to alter the capture dates, it is intelligent enough (or Phil Harvey is) to correct this anomaly by removing the extra DateTimeOriginal in IFD0, and just leaving it in IFD where it should be.

EXifToolGUI works faultlessly in altering Capture dates IME, so I'm giving up using LR for this. Adobe don't like doing 'tampering' with raw files (unless they are dngs), and if they can't do it properly, perhaps they shouldn't attempt it.

Thanks to Phil Harvey who writes EXiftool for sorting this out for me.

Bob Frost

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files
                      bob frost Level 3

A follow-up to my previous post - if you alter metadata stuff in your image files outside LR, such as DateTimeOriginal (Capture Date), then you have to tell LR to read the files. Unfortunately, when it does this, for some strange reason it puts a 'Reset' on top of your History, thus preventing all your editing steps from showing up on screen. Stepping back one step in History manually for each image is very tedious if you have a lot of changed images.

BUT Rob Cole has the solution - a plugin called 'ScrewAutoSync' which was invented to roll back mistakes in AutoSyncing images. However, it is excellent for getting rid of the 'Reset' at the top of your history. You just tell it to roll back history by one step, and hey presto you are back to normal, but with your metadata changes from outside LR now recorded inside LR. Using the plugin is not intuitive, but once you've mastered it, the 'Resets' are gone.

I use PhotoMechanic for keywording (because I find it easier than LR) and previously I've had to get rid of thousands of 'Resets' manually. Now it is a doddle! Thanks Rob.

Bob Frost

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files
                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Bob wrote:

doesn't seem to like putting the same Capture date/time into different files

When you select multiple files and do Edit Capture Time, LR shifts all the times of the selected pics based on the amount you're adjusting the most selected pic.  This is useful when the camera's clock is set wrong. But there is no option to set all the pics to the same time, which is useful for managing scans of old pics.  There are at least two plugins that will do that for you within LR (by invoking Exiftool): ExifMeta and Capture Time To Exif.

You could add your vote and opinion about this missing functionality to this thread in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom 5.2: Edit Capture Time issue - Need a way to set all photos selected to same date & time.

It also only updates the DateTimeOriginal in the Exif  IFD. Some of my nefs also have a DateTimeOriginal record in IFD0, so LR leaves the file with different dates in different parts of EXif!! If I use ExifToolGUI to alter the capture dates, it is intelligent enough (or Phil Harvey is) to correct this anomaly by removing the extra DateTimeOriginal in IFD0, and just leaving it in IFD where it should be. ... if they can't do it properly, perhaps they shouldn't attempt it.

At least some Nikon cameras write DateTimeOriginal to both IFD0 and ExifIFD, though the standard says it should appear in just ExifIFD.  While LR is strictly following the standard, it could better accommodate the imperfections of a leading camera manufacturer and help its own users by removing the incorrect entry in IFD0.  Please add your vote and opinion to this feature request: Lightrooom: Edit Capture Time leaves NEF files inconsistent. If you use one of the plugins mentioned above to write capture time, they will also remove the inconsistent entries, since they also use Exiftool.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5.6 won't allow me to change EXIF on multiple files
                          bob frost Level 3

Hi, I've added my voice to those threads. And since it is very unlikely that Adobe will change this (they might if it were Canon's that did this!), it's back to using  ExifToolGUI for all metadata alterations - dates for me. It's quite amazing how many other inconsistencies ExifTool finds in Exif data and corrects them.  I've been adding GPS data to a lot of old files in LR Map module, and then copying out to xmp and then using ExifToolGUI to copy from xmp to Exif in the file. It did surprise me how much EXifTool corrected.

Bob Frost