3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2014 9:54 PM by jaygoo

Design Text layout in After Effects or .. ?

jaygoo

I need to produce a motion project it displays menu items and prices (similar to a take out menu).

I'm not sure what the best way to approach this. Should I the create the layout in After Effects or not?

If I don't need to animate the text,  is it more effective just designing it in Indesign and exporting it as a pdf or image file?

Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated?

• 1. Re: Design Text layout in After Effects or .. ?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's merely a matter of preference, but well, there is no nice way to say this, so I'll just say it: Such questions usually indicate a more general lack of knowledge of the individual programs, workflows and basic design principles. We can't help you with that and you will just have to learn the tools.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Design Text layout in After Effects or .. ?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I almost always layout complex text in Illustrator or Photoshop with the text in it's final position. It's easier and faster and there are better alignment tools. If I am planning to use text animators then usually I'll layout the text in Photoshop because you can convert text layers from Photoshop to editable text and, sadly, this is not a feature yet implemented in the AI - AE workflow. You can get complex text projects created in Illustrator into Photoshop with editable text layers if you use the Export function in AI but you may have to do some rearranging of the layers in Photoshop to get the project to work right in AE as a comp.

If I were doing something like a restaurant's takeout menu and I wanted to use text animators I would create the Photoshop document in the aspect ratio of the finished menu at the width of your AE comp so let's say the real life menu was 9 X 12 inches, then the Photoshop document would be 1920 X 2560. Layout your menu with every text item you want to animate on a separate layer, leave off any layer effects, then import the Photoshop file as a comp retaining layer sizes, create your text animations using text animators, then nest the menu comp in a standard HD comp and animate position and scale of the menu. I do a lot of this kind of thing and this workflow is much more efficient than trying to create a complex text layout in AE with the limited text tools available there.

I have also created a fair amount of artwork in In Design for use in After Effects. That's where you get some really amazing text tools. In Design to Illustrator as a PDF, then Illustrator to Photoshop via export, then Photoshop to AE as a comp.  

• 3. Re: Design Text layout in After Effects or .. ?
              jaygoo Level 1

Thank you for your detailed response Rick. Your answer is very thorough and clear. This is the first time where I have a heavy amount of text to work with in an animation project and needed some guidance on the workflow process. I have already created the layout in Indesign and it is probably best to use the last method you mentioned - exporting the .idd file to illustrator as a pdf and then export to photoshop, using the psd file in After Effects.