19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2014 7:33 AM by alexdejesus

Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working

alexdejesus Level 1

IMG_1586.JPGIMG_1584.JPGI got the ARC-1883ix-12 model in the hopes that I would get more speed from my existing storage HDDs. I had four WD Black 4TB drives in RAID 0 on the X79 motherboard. I brought the RAID into the X99 system I am building, and I lost all my data when I moved them from my old system to the new. The RAID should have stayed intact, but something went wrong and the system did not recognize one of the drives on boot up. Needless to say, it was a good time to rebuild a storage system with a RAID controller.

But this stupid thing arrived with a crappy user's manual translated from another language. And a CD full of software, but none of it recognizable. You expect a software disk to open up to a setup file that you click and it installs the appropriate software, but not this thing. There are folders and folders full of all kinds of crap. So I am guessing at what to install. Well, it doesn't work. I have my drives connected to it, but it does nothing and does not see the drives.

I know many of you have RAID controllers. How do you set it up? What needs to be done in preparation? What BIOS setting need to be changed and what do you do in Windows? What are all the connections on the Areca? For now, I only have the five 4TB drives I'd like to make a 16 TB RAID 0 or RAID 10.

• 1. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First question do you see the controller at the start of the BIOS boot process?PICT0199.jpg

• 2. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
            alexdejesus Level 1

Yes, It got past that screen to some kind of control panel. It showed two different icons for the Raid controller, but you couldn't click on either one. You could not see the drives connected to it. I don't think the proper software was installed, but I had no way of knowing.

I ended up uninstalling the controller. Then, when I rebooted a screen opened up that wanted me to create some kind of diskette in Drive A. I tried to cancel out of it, but every time I did it rebooted back to the same screen - not allowing Windows to boot. It took me all night to get rid of it. I started to do a clean install of Windows, but cancelled because there was too much on the system drive that was not backed up. It got rid of the screen, though. I went in and uninstalled everything related to the Areca. Now I'm pissed.

I don't understand this thing at all.

I have already lost everything that was on my original RAID. I moved all four drives intact from the old board to the new, but when it booted, the setup page showed the failed RAID. Lost about 8TB worth of footage. Most of it is backed up, thank God.

The SATA ports on the X99 board do not make sense. Some of the Intel ports are on the left side where the ASMedia ports are. The manual shows 6 Intel ports on the right side and four ASMedia ports on the left, but they are all scattered. I had to plug some of the 4TB drives on the left side and it just got crazy. Do I have a bad board??

• 3. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working

Well did you get this screen next?

PICT0200.jpg

• 4. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                alexdejesus Level 1

no I did not get that screen

• 5. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working

I am not exactly sure how you install the BIOS resident drivers after you have the OS up and running I will try to find outv tomorrow.  I recently put my ARC 1883 controller into my x58 system that had an old ARC-1880 so I did not have the problem you are facing.  Tomorrow I will see what I can do to help.

• 6. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                    alexdejesus Level 1

It's exacerbated by trying to build three computers at once. This one, which is an upgrade from the ASUS P9X79 board, and two live streaming kits. This computer gave me all kinds of problems apart from the RAID controller. I finally got Windows installed again after every other hard drive failed in one way or another. It now has a new SSD system drive, since the previous one failed numerous times to boot up. I suppose the old system drive from the X79 system does not cross over well into the X99 platform. So now it is a brand new computer. Fortunately, my video footage was backed up to an external drive.

• 7. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                      cc_merchant Level 4

Getting the Areca F/W and BIOS screen to display, so you can setup your raid arrays with <Tab/F6>, is completely independent of the OS you have installed. Provided the card is properly seated it should always show up right after booting, but before the OS is loaded. No drivers or software are needed to get to the setup screen.

From your photo's it looks like you have not attached your drives correctly to the Areca controller, but on the motherboard SATA connectors. You need the SFF-8643 to SATA fan-out cable.

• 8. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working

Alex DeJesus wrote:

I suppose the old system drive from the X79 system does not cross over well into the X99 platform. So now it is a brand new computer. Fortunately, my video footage was backed up to an external drive.

You really should have no problem reading from your old system drive of course you cannot boot from it.  I currently have an old system drive online that I go back to on occasion for a document or picture.

Thank you cc_merchant for helping out.  I was not sure of the details.

• 9. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                          alexdejesus Level 1

cc_merchant wrote:

From your photo's it looks like you have not attached your drives correctly to the Areca controller, but on the motherboard SATA connectors. You need the SFF-8643 to SATA fan-out cable.

What do you mean? The photos show clearly the fan cables attached to the drives. My problem is that I tried to install some of the software before installing the card. I have no idea what I installed because the CD is so poorly packaged. Whatever it was, it opened up as I was booting. But it was not the correct app. I had no access to the drives or the controller.

There is nothing in or on this box that tells you what to do or in what order. The manual is incomplete. It shows partially how to physically install it, but you have to go online to find the rest.

• 10. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                            JFPhoton Level 3

....you said at the beginning of this post that you connected your hard drives to SATA ports on the motherboard.  CC is pointing out that you DO NOT do this when you have a RAID controller card.  The drives connect DIRECTLY to the RAID card using the fan-out cable...NOT to the motherboard. You may want to read Harm Millard's advice concerning setting up RAID for video editing, and the performance expected over on the PPBM7 website and the "tweakers page"  With your Areca, you would want to attach MORE matching HDDs and use RAID 3...which is a "parity RAID" that gives protection if a drive fails and provides for "hot-swapping" in a spare drive, if one fails. RAID 0 is VERY risky......as you have already found out......if one drive goes all is lost. Not so with RAID 3 or 5,etc. However, especially when using SPINNING drives in your array, you MUST have some type of "Uninterrupted Power Supply" to prevent data loss in the event of a power failure.....especially when a "write" is occurring.  New SSDs have internal capacitors to handle this....your card may also have this feature....its good to find out.

The future of storage is going to be PCI based pretty soon.......to get maximum speed from a single device without need for RAID. In the meantime, many are using the Samsung 850 Pro SSDs,or, Crucial M550s as their "working drives".....then using the larger HDDs as backup and archival drives, when the work is done on the smaller SSDs. Some X99 boards have the option of using a PCI SSD which is BOOTABLE, to house the OS, programs, and page file.....all running at over 1 GB per second. Then, SSDs can be combined in a RAID 0 right on the motherboard to give similar speed with less risk than HDDs. Tests have shown that more than 2 SSDs do not really provide any more speed....but DO provide more capacity...hopefully enough to complete projects that can be completely offloaded to large non-RAID HDDs after completion.

• 11. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                              alexdejesus Level 1

I Have the hard drives connected to the onboard ports NOW because the Areca didn't work. I will try again from scratch today as soon as I get a minute. Got swamped.

I do have a Samsung XP941 M.2 drive to boot and put OS on as well as the pagefile, scratch, etc. ( I do my homework sometimes) My five 4TB HDDs will be in RAID 3 or 5, whichever is appropriate for working storage until I have a faster SSD setup. It is crucial that I get the Areca board working. Thanks for the tips.

I will be doing a lot of live streaming and VOD with Livestream Studio app as well, so I hope to make some use of the neat looking cloud management products that came bundled with the ASUS X99 board. I have built two other systems for live streaming that are portable out of the older editing systems I replaced.

• 12. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                                sub-sample

"Some X99 boards have the option of using a PCI SSD which is BOOTABLE, to house the OS, programs, and page file...."  I haven't noticed that in specs; which ones do you have in mind?

Also how to the masters of our future expect us to find room among the PCI slots for all the ssds we'll need, when hard drives are no more?

• 13. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                                  alexdejesus Level 1

TThe M.2 drive is a small circuit board about 3" x 1" that plugs flat onto the motherboard. 500 GB drive. Wish it was 1 TB. They say it's bootable. Haven't tried it yet

• 14. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                                    sub-sample Level 1

I was addressing JFPhoton

• 15. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working

sub-sample wrote:

"Some X99 boards have the option of using a PCI SSD which is BOOTABLE, to house the OS, programs, and page file...."  I haven't noticed that in specs; which ones do you have in mind?

Also how to the masters of our future expect us to find room among the PCI slots for all the ssds we'll need, when hard drives are no more?

One of the reasons why I will be purchasing a ASUS X99-E WS is the fact that it has 88 PCIe lanes and supports four full x16 PCIe sockets plus you also can install the M.2 card in this motherboard.

• 16. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                                        alexdejesus Level 1

Okay, so I am starting again from scratch. I see where it gives a split second to hit 'Tab F6' to go into setup. Beautiful!!! But why the heck is it asking for a PASSWORD???????? Where in the instructions does it say anything about a password? Alright, so the default password is '0000' I had to go on the CD to find the manual that said that. Setting up RAID 5 with five HDD's 16 TB total. It's been five or so minutes and it is 0.5 percent complete with whatever it is doing. At this rate, looks like an overnight thing.

• 17. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working

RAID 5 does take a long time to initialize.

• 18. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                                            alexdejesus Level 1

I just read something in the stupid manual that gives the impression that the 'Quick Volume RAID Setup' is not what I should use. That "RAID Set Function" is more for creating a new RAID. The Quick RAID Setup is more for changing or adding to it? Is that why it's taking so long?

Should I stop it and use the other creation method? I would hate to lose the all this time that has gone by if it doesn't make any difference.

Why is it called "Quick RAID Setup" if it is anything but quick? I'm feeling really stupid here. Do all of you people know about this and didn't clue me in? It's been 2 1/2 hours and only 26% complete. I was hoping/needing to do some editing. Why is creating a RAID onboard so quick in comparison?? This is maddening.

And I was told to do a RAID 3 or a 5. Well, which is it? I am editing large files. I NEED SPEED. What's the difference? I chose RAID 5, but it was a guess like so many other things I am doing here. Is a RAID 3 faster and more appropriate for editing?

• 19. Re: Stumped - Can't Get Areca RAID Controller Working
                                              alexdejesus Level 1

So, some 15 hours later, my RAID is finally built  Driver installed and volume created. Speed test shows a whopping fast write speed! A couple of times touching over 1000,  but Read speed is a dismal 250. There's something wrong With this picture.

NOt not sure what to do with the other drives, SSDs, should I plug them into the Areca or keep them on the motherboard?