5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2014 1:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is the video in the preview af lower quality than the original video?

Carla68

I have a question about the quality of the video seen in the preview. This is not as good as the original and also not as good as the original video seen with fe mediaplayer.

I already read some similar discussions and I have tried some things:

Starting a new project with other settings (PAL HD 1080i, 25fps), this does not help.

Rendering the video if necessary, this does also not help.

Some information:

The video's are from a PanasonicHDC-SDT750 full HD camera. Setting 1920HA.

Output files are MPEG   imagesize 1920x1080, 25 fps, 48 kHz

Computer: Inte(R)l core (TM) i7-3632QM CPU 2.20 GHz 8 Gb RAM

AMD High definition audio devise

I hope this information is enough to help me, any help is surely appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why is the video in the preview af lower quality than the original video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

carla68

I am working on answering your question now. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

ATR

• 2. Re: Why is the video in the preview af lower quality than the original video?
            Carla68 Level 1

Hello,

I am using Premiere elements 13 and windows 8.1.

Kind regards

Carla

Van: A.T. Romano 

Verzonden: zondag 16 november 2014 19:02

Aan: Carla Neefjes

Onderwerp:  Why is the video in the preview af lower quality than the original video?

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6934523#6934523>

• 3. Re: Why is the video in the preview af lower quality than the original video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

carla68

Thanks for the follow up. Let us go through the check list to make sure what you are seeing should be the best possible

1. Project preset....Based on the Panasonic HA setting, the camera should be expected to be recording 1080i (in your case, 1920 x 1080 @25 interlaced frames per second). Either you (manually) or the project (automatically) should be setting the project preset to match those video properties, using

PAL

AVCHD

Full 1080i25

When you import that source into the Expert workspace and drag it to the Timeline, there should be no colored line over its content indicating that the file needs to be Timeline rendered to get the best possible preview. In fact, with no colored line, if you press Render, you will get file playback and not Timeline render.

Are we OK on this so far.

2. Right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then compare the set for Automatic versus Highest.

3. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the option there

"Timeline render quality (valid for HD projects)" and determine if it is set for "High quality, Slow Speed". If not, set it to that choice.

4. The bitrate for your source is 17 Mbps. If you have exported

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG2

with Presets = MPEG2 1920 x 1080i25 High Quality

you should be OK bitrate wise since the defaults for the preset are

Minimum 18 Mbps

Target 25 Mbps

Maximum 30 Mbps

Have you looked at the export of

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25?

5. Is your computer's video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Please review and consider the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why is the video in the preview af lower quality than the original video?
                Carla68 Level 1

Hello,

See also answers in red.

I think point 2 is of most help. I think I can continue now making the movie.

I sure have learned a lot with your help.

Thanks

Carla

Van: A.T. Romano 

Verzonden: zondag 16 november 2014 20:19

Aan: Carla Neefjes

Onderwerp:  Why is the video in the preview af lower quality than the original video?

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6934645#6934645>

• 5. Re: Why is the video in the preview af lower quality than the original video?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

carla68

Thanks for the update.

Glad that preview quality improved with setting Playback Quality from Automatic to Highest.

In matters such as these, there are many factors to rule in or out. So, you did a great job sorting

through the troubleshooting details.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification.

Thank you.

ATR