4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2014 10:35 AM by indesign pdf

how do i get a missing font?

indesign pdf

I have created a document for publication. Had a computer crash. Restored work after reinstalling indesign.

Now finding I have 15 missing fonts.

What to do?

InDesign

• 1. Re: how do i get a missing font?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Where were the fonts before? They'd need to either be fonts you purchased and installed on your computer or loaded via typekit.

• 2. Re: how do i get a missing font?
            indesign pdf Level 1

The fonts were not missing before i reinstalled indesign.

i'm confused because I had fonts on indesign before my computer crashed and I needed to reinstall indesign. Are you saying that in the newly installed state it is correct that I don't have fonts?

• 3. Re: how do i get a missing font?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

No way for me to know what you had before or what you have now. If ID says the fonts are missing they are either not installed or you need to clear the font caches and delete the adobefnt**.lst files where ** is a 2-digit number.

Do they work in other applications? that would indicate the caches.

• 4. Re: how do i get a missing font?
                indesign pdf Level 1

I am going to Type, Find Font.

I am attempting to change the missing fonts, but it is still telling me there are characters with the missing font.

I tried deleting the spaces that may be labeled with the missing font, but still showing that there are characters with that font.

Also, by the way, when I go to Typekit and put in the font I need, it is not there to download.

I don't mind using fonts that are available instead, but I need to get rid of the error messages and I can't seem to do that.