8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 3:06 AM by TᴀW

Change position of pages

HomerNE

I'm working on PC, with Indesign CS 3. I've written a book with 600 pages, 400 photos and many footnotes. Now I try to change the position of 10 pages. The order "Seiten verschieben" is OK, no problem with - by example - the pagenumbers. BUT: The numbers of my footnotes will not be recounted. Example: I take Page X with notes 30-34 from page 250 to page 420. The last footnote on that page is 320. Now my footnotes on page X should be recounted: NOT 30-34, BUT 321-325. It does not work. My page X did change the place, but my notes did not recognized this. They believe, that they are already at page 250.... Is there any possibility reorganize my notes??InDesign

• 1. Re: Change position of pages
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will have to cut and paste the text, I think.

• 2. Re: Change position of pages
            HomerNE Level 1

I tried. BUT: on page (example:) X-X are some 5 pictures. If I cut the text, the pictures will stay, the empty text-areas (Bereiche) will be filled up with the text following up to page XX... OK, I can put the pictures to the new position by hand. But: is this the only possibility? Thereafter I've to reorganize all the rest of the pages (text-areas) between the pages which have been cut away and the pages following up from the new position of page X-X...

• 3. Re: Change position of pages

Moving pages doesn't change the order of the text frames. If you "show

threads" you'll see what a mess of blue lines you've got after you move

pages with threaded text frames.

So you have to cut and paste the text. Then I guess you should simply

cut the pictures, and do a "paste in place" on the new spread where they

belong.

You could also break the link before and after the pages you want to

move, and then relink.

Example: You have 20 pages, and you want to move pp. 10-15 to the end of

the document, and all the pages have threaded text frames comprising a

single story.

So, break the link between the frames on p. 9 and p. 10. Break the link

between the frames on p. 15 and p. 16. Move pages 10-15. Relink page 9

with the new page 10, and new page 15 with the new page 16.

• 4. Re: Change position of pages
                HomerNE Level 1

OK, Ariel. I tried this, too. But, may be because I'm an old man, I made a mistake: If I break the link between page 9 and 10 all text suddenly disappear. If I try to re-install the links (click on "text out" down right) I've again ALL the text at my fingertipps.... But I will try again...

:-)

• 5. Re: Change position of pages

This has nothing to do with age! It's expected behavior.

Breaking the link between text frames is unnecessarily complicated, for

the reason you've noticed. And Adobe hasn't provided a simple way to

accomplish this, though there is at least one free script available

somewhere out there.

But a script isn't necessary.

Break the link as you did. All the text will disappear.

Now, position your text cursor after the last visible character in the

previous text frame. Press CtrlShiftEnd to select all the invisible

text. Press Ctrl-X to cut. Place your cursor in the empty text frame,

and paste the text you've just cut.

That's it -- the link is now broken, and everything should be in place.

Repeat for the last frame (as in my previous post) and continue

according to the instructions above.

• 6. Re: Change position of pages
                    HomerNE Level 1

Dear Ariel,

yesterday I tried it step by step on my PC at the university with Indesign CS6. Because there has been a little bit trouble with my fonts, it did not work and Indesign collapsed... In the evening I started a new session on my PC at home with Indesin CS3. I've been successful - everything is OK, no problem! Thank you very much for your support!

With all the best wishes

Norbert Eschbach

• 7. Re: Change position of pages
                      Migintosh Level 4

[Ariel] wrote:

…though there is at least one free script available somewhere out there.

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 4.43.56 AM.png

I'm pretty sure this is a script that comes standard with InDesign. If you have 5 threaded frames and you select the third frame and run this script, the third frame will be in it's own story, and the story that starts in frame 1 will jump from frame 2 to frame 4 and continue to frame 5. You might also consider anchoring your images in the text if they will be associated with text that may flow to a different part of the document.

• 8. Re: Change position of pages

I think the script that comes with InDesign does as you describe (or

maybe even it separates all frames in a story?), but what it doesn't do

is the (IMO more useful) function of just cutting the thread between 2

frames. Not isolating a frame by cutting both sides of the thread --

just one side.

At any rate, that is what the OP needed.