9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 7:41 AM by ECBowen

How important is RAM?

johnt53984649 Level 2

I know that the other parts of the computer are important as well, but assuming all of the other parts are the same, what kind of performance differences can be expected with each of the following?

4GB

8GB

16GB

32GB

64GB

I know that the more the merrier, but I don't know what RAM actually does for Premiere Pro CC 2014.  Similarly, what's the minimum amount needed for SUCCESSFUL usage of the program (as in, little to no lagging, etc, not just the bare minimum requirement)?

• 1. Re: How important is RAM?
          cc_merchant Level 4

The same as horsepower in a car.

40 HP

80 HP

160 HP

320 HP

640 HP

Depends on the car / computer, road to travel / source material and driving skills / workflow.

• 2. Re: How important is RAM?
            johnt53984649 Level 2

Yeah, but I'm wondering about how the program uses it specifically.

• 3. Re: How important is RAM?
              cc_merchant Level 4

As temporary storage.

You start out with the original footage on disk. You edit it and export it to disk. In between memory is used. See Tweakers Page - Balanced Systems

• 4. Re: How important is RAM?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Most applications now days dynamically use ram based on the amount available total, current use, and what is required by the application to perform it's current functions. These are called caching models and profiles. GPU acceleration uses allot of ram in order to function. The greater the amount of data sent to the GPU, the more ram that has to be used. These are the data buffers created for GPU acceleration ie processing. The application itself also needs ram along with the player in order to decode/encode media and process effects and such. All of this together means Premiere uses quite abit of ram. I can easily exceed 32GB of ram in Premiere especially with 4K media. 1080 media will often use well over 24GB of ram. AE uses all ram you can give it. To give you an example, 30  seconds of 4K media ram previewed at full resolution takes 96GB without disk caching. That gives you an idea of the ram profiles AE has.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: How important is RAM?
                  johnt53984649 Level 2

I see now.  But for just 1080p videos, is there any minimum recommended amount?  Or, I suppose I should say, between what GB of RAM would there be the most significant performance enhancement?  For example,

Would the difference between 8GB and 12GB be the greatest?

12GB and 16GB the greatest?

16GB and 20GB?

etc.

I know it's a broad question that brings up all of the other specification of the computer and all that, but I'm just looking for a general answer.

• 6. Re: How important is RAM?
                    Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A general answer is meaningless as all of the previously mentioned specifications weigh heavily in determining the answer.

• 7. Re: How important is RAM?
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Generally in the past, more memory meant better performance but since you do not specify anything more than 1080p it is really impossible to answer you question.  There is only one way to answer the question, lots of testing with your version of Premiere and the exact media used, what you want to achieve and the final product..

• 8. Re: How important is RAM?
                        johnt53984649 Level 2

I suppose.  I merely wanted an idea.  A fourth of a gigabyte for RAM obviously wouldn't be enough, but 10,000GB would clearly be ridiculous (I'm not trying to be realistic with those examples).  I was just trying to get some idea of what was reasonable.

• 9. Re: How important is RAM?
                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Consider 32GB of ram to be the standard ideal point right now for Premiere until you get to 4K work. Also that is with 1 video card. If you have 2 video cards in the system then you want 64GB. Any significant AE use really requires 64GB of ram or more. Adobe's minimum requirements are just to really run the applications without any real load. They don't include what is required for decent performance. 16GB of ram is really minimum now with GPU acceleration. Much less than that and performance will suffer.

Eric

ADK