26 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 11:46 AM by carlosdcp

Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data

YorkLjuwick

I try to move from Aperture to Lightroom with the Aperture importer plugin, but manually set GPS data are mit imported in lightroom. GPS data created by an iPhone occurr in lightroom.

• 1. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
          photo-enthusiast Level 1

Your experience doesn't match mine.  Seems that all of my GPS tags have made it over.  But I only tag using an iPhone (which works for you), and through the Aperture tools.  Are you using a third-party plug-in to assign GPS coordinates either before or after you imported your images into Aperture?

What kind of images have you tagged?  Raw, JPEG, TIFF, etc.?

Not sure if it will make a difference, but I've been saying "yes" when prompted to enabling GPS reverse decoding during the import.  I've also been importing into a new Lightroom Catalog.

• 2. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
            YorkLjuwick Level 1

I am tagging raw pictures by using the Aperture gps tagging tool after Aperture import.

• 3. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
              photo-enthusiast Level 1

What kind of files are you tagging (Raw, JPEG, TIFF), does it happen with all file types?

Try: exporting Raw (first attempt), Previews (second attempt), and imbed metadata.  Then import into Lightroom.  Might also want to try a 3rd party metadata viewer to ensure the data is embedded upon export.

• 4. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                YorkLjuwick Level 1

Thanks for your hints. I now have a work around for importing raw images with metadata in lightroom. The situation is like following:

- The manually tagged olympus raw images do not have gps data inside. I guess the gps data are stored only in the aperture database.

- If I export raw images with additionally xmp files from aperture, lightroom shows also the missing gps data

But the question is: Why does the aperture importer plugin not import gps data stored in aperture database? In my opinion this is a software bug.

Do you know how to contact adobes software developers?

• 5. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                  photo-enthusiast Level 1

It does appear it's a bug.

Were you not able to embed metadata?  You should be able to check when you go to export.  Just check the export preset options.

The downside is, it alters the original raw file.  But it sounds like you can export and include xmp, which works.

And yes, you definitely want to use the plugin.  Without it, you'll lose a lot of information, even with the bugs that still remain.

Download Lightroom 5.7.  Reports are, there is a bug reporting mechanism that you can use for the plugin.

• 6. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                    TranceMist

I have the same problem.

If the original file has GPS tags within the EXIF, then the Aperture Import plugin in Lightroom picks them up just fine.

However, if the GPS data was assigned to the photo within Aperture then the plugin does not seem to be smart enough to extract it and so that data is lost. :-(

Adobe, please fix.

• 7. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                      photo-enthusiast Level 1

As far as I can tell, Adobe does not monitor these forums.  Furthermore, after three calls to support for various issues, I get the impression support is there to help you get you subscribed and install the product, nothing more.

Several folks have said your only hope for getting something fixed is to file a bug report through this system here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightro om

Furthermore, support told me that customers need to "sell" or "market" their issues in order to get fixed.  Sexed-up responses requiring easy resolution get the best responses from Adobe employees.

Even still, Adobe support assured me that 90% of issues are addressed or looked into within hours. 

My experience?  0 responses for 7 issues. 

• 8. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                        Karsten Wind

Are there any news of this software bug in the "Aperture to Lightroom plug-in" being fixed?

• 10. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                          philg8249002

Well, I, too, am unable to import GPS data from images i've tagged in Aperture. Renders the import mostly useless.

• 11. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                            Karsten Wind Level 1

Does anyone have an idea if Adobe is going to look at this issue and release a new version of the plug-in? The current plug-in is useless for all of us that have geotagged in Aperture.

• 12. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                              Bud Fox

I agree that this issues should be corrected.  I have thousands of photos in Aperture that I added the location to, and I am not interested in doing it all over again.  This seems like an easy fix for Adobe to make for the Lightroom Aperture import tool.  I hope that they give it a priority.

• 13. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                klaudiaj2729324 Level 1

I have found a workaround for this:

Root cause (as far as I can see):

When manually adding location info to a photo in Aperture, the longitude and latitude get added, but the GPS Version ID and more importantly the GPS Map Datum do not get added. When this data is then imported to LR, the plugin ignores all GPS info, where the GPS Map Datum is not set.

Solution:

• Create a smart folder in Aperture that selects photos, where the GPS version is empty and the GPS latitude is not empty.
                                • Export those files as versions
                                • Use an Exif tool to add GPS Map Datum to the files. I used pyExifToolGUI plus ExifTool by Phil Harvey which lets copy exif info from one file to other files. Load a file that has correct exif info (taken with the iPhone, for example). Copy the Exif info into the tool. Then load the exported files that have broken GPS info. Update them with the loaded GPS Map Datum, but do not update the the actual longitude / latitude.
                                • Import the updated photos into LR and you can see the Map info.

Always try this out with a backup first!!!!

• 14. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                  martant4real

Nice workaround, but maybe too cumbersome for me.

What actually surprises me is that the previews of adjusted Aperture pictures that the LR importer tool generates do contain the GPS data in the EXIF, but the originals do not. This implies that there must be a way for the LR importer tool to extract the manually added GPS longitude and latitude from Aperture.

Any clues?

BR, Martin

• 15. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                    davidw85573786

I am experiencing the same issue-location added in Aperture however the Lr import tool does not bring the GPS data across. Rather frustrating.

I have started to experiment with HoudahGeo. This should read the Aperture database and then add the locations to the EXIF GPS (I haven't seem if it adds the datum) tags in the originals.

Also, now that Lr supports faces I was hoping the importer would bring these across too. I had a quick look into Aperture's SQLite databases and all the data (tags, places, faces, ratings, adjustments, the whole shooting match is there). The structure looks very simple so I would have hoped the Adobe devs would have been able to make an amazing import tool.

Cheers,

David

• 16. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                      kinkstone

This is a shortcoming in Lightroom's Aperture plug-in.  I found a similar reference on the web that pointed me to HoudahGeo - Photo Geocoding & Geotagging.  HoudahGeo can read the native Aperture library, parse the geo data from aperture and imprint it into the EXIF on the masters. 

I like this approach because I didn't have to export/import in Aperture -- it saves disk space and time, while sidestepping the need to manage or know where the files are used in aperture albums, etc.  Since this is touching your real masters in aperture, make sure you have a backup. I've processed a couple thousand images so far with no hiccups.  I started w/ my most recent images though and they're all jpeg.  I'll hit a bunch of Nikon RAW next...

good luck

-stone

• 17. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                        klaudiaj2729324 Level 1

This solved it for me. Thanks a lot for sharing.

• 19. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                          photo-enthusiast Level 1

Do you mind delving into a bit of detail as to how you did this?

I've got HoudahGeo, but I'm unable to select the test Aperture library.  Seems the only option is to chose the pre-identified Aperture library.  Can't open, change, etc.

Did you go into the package and select masters, previews or both?

How did you setup the time stamp information?  Didn't think this was necessary.

I assume you drag and drop the image files to the right hand side, then hit "process"?

I can't see much of this stuff, since I don't want to make a misstep on my primary library.

Then you hit "output'?

I see discussion of items for sidecars vs embedded, and needing to turn on a hidden option to allow writing directly to the file.  What settings did you chose for Aperture, and are these settings revealed as you step through the process?

Thanks,

• 20. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                            kinkstone Level 1

The raw test seemed to work.  Of the 13,000 images I've moved, about 3,500 are Nikon RAW, of those I had tagged about 200 in Aperture with geo data.  They all show up on a map in Lightroom.

Here's my general process

Setup

1. In my master aperture library, change previews in preferences so the previews are shared with external apps and you get high quality previews with the adjustments you made in Aperture.  Remember, Lightroom will import images, not Aperture adjustments, so you want Aperture to render very good preview images:
                                              1. Share XML with other applications: [When quitting aperture]
                                              2. Photo Preview: [Don't Limit]
                                              3. Photo Preview quality: 12-High
                                              4. aperture preview preferences.png
                                            2. Delete previews and Update Previews (depending on your library, this might take a long time and use quite a bit of disk space...)

Migration

1. In the master aperture library, identify the projects to move and put them in a folder called "move to lightroom-in progress"
                                            2. Export that folder to a new aperture library
                                            3. Open the new aperture library
                                            4. Make a smart album called "has place data" with the criteria "Place [is not empty]"
                                            5. Exit aperture (macOS will update the xml junk so other apps can see the images - remember iLife )
                                            6. Open HoudahGeo - if your preferences are right, it should see the exported aperture library
                                            7. Expand Aperture, and navigate to the "has place data" album
                                            8. Drag images to the working space
                                            9. Open the "Process" view, select all images, choose Altitude lookup
                                            10. Chose "Output" view, select "EXIF/XMP Export"
                                            11. Open Lightroom and import the exported Aperture library
                                            12. Return to the Aperture master library and move the projects from "move to lightroom-in progress" to a folder called "move to lightroom-complete"
                                            13. Repeat until you're done.
                                            • 21. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                              photo-enthusiast Level 1

THANK YOU.  Your writeup is extremely helpful.

Having an issue with #6, have contacted support to see why other libraries are not loading.  Can't seem to do this manually, and following your steps for preview generation / updates are not working.

On #10, does this embed location data, or include sidecars?  I'd prefer sidecars because it won't trigger a 750GB upload to my online backup provider.  But not sure if the Lightroom-Aperture plugin could detect the sidecar when importing to Lightroom.

How does HoudahGeo handle GPS updates to previews?  Did that come across for you?  Also looking at Aperture Exporter, but it has limitations, too.

Did you experience any issues with time stamps?  HoudahGeo requires preference entry for time stamps, I chose the defaults.

• 22. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                                klaudiaj2729324 Level 1

In order to see the correct library, two things are important:

HoudahGeo will always open the last library you opened with Aperture.

Your previews need to be shared with other applications. There is a setting for this somewhere in Aperture.

• 23. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                                  photo-enthusiast Level 1

klaudiaj2729324 wrote:

In order to see the correct library, two things are important:

HoudahGeo will always open the last library you opened with Aperture.

Your previews need to be shared with other applications. There is a setting for this somewhere in Aperture.

Thank you.  I figured that might be the case, and was ensuring previews were being updated, but no luck.  Checking previews in Mail, they were being updated.

Problem solved.  Something finally took, or perhaps it was the act of copying HoudahGeo into the Applications folder, rather than running it from the downloads folder.

To others:  Please note that Kinkstone's steps to generate previews for all photos needing GPS updates is mandatory in order to be selectable in HoudahGeo.  If you preselected and generated previews for only specific files, you'll need to do so again for all files needing GPS updates.

• 24. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                                    marin36349005

I have made a workaround for transferring GPS coordinates from Apreture to Lightroom. The solution is a bit cumbersome, but it is safe and does not mess up anything. It can be done at any time as long as you still have the images available in Aperture. In my case I have already done quite a lot of work in Lightroom, and do not want to loose any edits or mess with the originals.

The solution is to export GPS data from Aperture to a CSV file (can easily be done at any time) and generate GPS track logs (GPX) from this CSV file, matching geo-data for each individual image. I have made a perl script to run in the terminal window to make these GPX files. I have not debugged the script for extensive usage, but in my context it has worked for tens of thousands of images.

This solution works best when many images have geo-data originally added from tracks. (The process is more cumbersome if one and one image have been taken at different places at different times.) This is because the script splits the generated GPX tracks into different files, if the difference in time or distance is big. The splitting into different tracks is to avoid that a picture that is stored in Lightroom, that should have no geo-data at all, wrongly is assumed to be a part of a track. (More comments about this in the script)

Usage is described in the script.

The script: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5076247/GenerateGpxFiles.pl

• 25. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                                      simonh22270441

Thanks for the effort marin.

As I'm trying to get this to work, I'm getting the following error at step 2 in Terminal:

"Can't call method "generateGpxFile" on an undefined value at /Users/zbotnik/Desktop/GenerateGpxFiles.pl line 152."

Also, the date format I'm getting from Aperture looks like this (after using Automator to extract it), e.g.: söndag 24 augusti 2014 19:12:42

Should that be ok?

• 26. Re: Aperture importer plugin does not import GPS data
                                                        carlosdcp

Were you able to run this? I didn't get the timestamp from the metadata export.

Thanks