Not sure what the problem is. Your second image looks the same as the first one. And after adding two pages after page 3 the masters are applied properly.
That's a puzzler.
In CS5 - I have put 2 rectangles on the master page.
When I move page 2 over to page 3 (to swap page position) then the objects disappear completely from my doc.
You mean on the page panel? Or on the actual document?
You need to reapply the master on all pages. There are overrides done with the page tool. Select the pages and click with the alt key on the master page and confirm the dialog to remove overrides. I suppose that you have resized the page with the page tool and instead of going back you have resized them to their original sizes.
Thanks for answering.
If you look carefully, the positions of the blocks are different on the second image.
If you add pages after page 3, no problem all right. The problem appears when an odd page is set to even (or even to odd...)
As you suggested, I did reapply the master on all pages.
It does the job (blocks are now well positioned), but doesn't solve the problem: as soon as I move an odd page to even, problem reappears...
I see what you mean. Odd to say the least.
Did you resize the master also with the page tool?
Such problems appear when the primary page size is resized with the page tool and not with the document setup.
I would change the orientation once in the document set up and backward again (with OK each time).
I didn't use the page tool (I never do), but it's a collaborative project, so I can't be sure nobody did.
As you might have guessed, the attached Indd file is not the real file: I did remove all styles, variants, blocks,... everything from the original project to reduce it to a very basic template...
If I create a document from scratch, obviously there is no problem. If I don't find the solution, I will recreate the document from scratch, but you'll understand I'd like to avoid spending my time that way...
I tried changing the orientation from document setup and crtl-z... didn't do the trick!
Now, here are more information for a better understanding:
The original project was landscape orientated (A4).
I had to adapt it to a portrait orientation version (still A4). Please note I didn't use the page tool. Obviously, something got wrong there and did create the problem...
Now, if I right-click my page panel and set its view "by variant", the name of the (unique) variant is the same than the original project, even though it has a different orientation.
The strange thing is that the name is a personalized one (it should have been "A4 H"). Why is that? I dunno... Why (anf who did?) change the name of the "variant" is a mystery... But I guess this could be a clue...
Well... still stuck on this puzzler...
Thanks all for your help anyway...
I think this might be a known bug, and I would try grouping the frames with some other object (could even be a "dummy" object of some sort).
Sorry but it doesn't seem to be working...
Or maybe moving the pages to a new file. Set up a new file with the correct page size and only one page, then rename Master A so your current master will be transferred. Select all the pages in the old file in the pages panel, then choose the move pages command from the panel menu. Pick the new file as the destination and before page 1 to preserve left/right order. Delete the original page 1, now the last page, in the new doc and see what happens.
Neither IDML nor INDT did do the trick...
Moving pages to a brand new document sounded like a good idea.
But somehow, the bug was "moved" along with the elements...
So I did recreate the all doc from scratch. No problem now...
I'll keep wondering what went wrong, but... let's say the topic is "solved"...
Thanks all for your help!