8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 3:47 PM by chrisbrearley

Mercury Transmit stuttering

scattar Level 1

I'm getting stuttery playback out of AE 2014 with mercury transmit.

I'm in a 25fps 1080p comp coming out the back of an nVidia 780 6Gb. Everything is ram previewed and plays back smoothly in the comp window but it looks like I'm dropping the odd frame on my monitor. Things are no better at 720p or SD. Info panel reports real time playback.

nVidia drivers are up-to-date and nVidia control panel settings are set to 1080p 50hz and RGB. Windows is seeing the monitor as monitor 1 (I'm assuming the HDMI from the 780 is assigned as output 1?) but my working monitor is set to be the main display.

System is Windows 7, 3930k, 64Gb  ddr3 1600, nVidia 780 and 680.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with GPU output for now as until blackmagic sort out 25p to 50i I can't use my Intensity Pro and right now AE 2014 flat out refuses to acknowledge the existence of my Matrox MX02 mini )but then every new driver update from matrox never works anyway so that's to be expected...)

• 1. Re: Mercury playback stuttering
          scattar Level 1

Why is it that on this forum I could ask a completely noob question of which the answer could be found be doing a quick search of the manual and that would get a flood of answers.

However, when I have a serious issues which means I have clients sat over my shoulder who are paying over £1000 to be in my suite are asking me why my £6000 system cannot play their footage back without being all choppy, no-one seems to have any idea.

This whole mercury transmit while in theory seems like a good idea has been a massive balls up. Why is a high-end nVidia card delivering choppy playback? And both Blackmagic and Matrox have completely made a mess up delivering drivers that work with their cards and MT. I being made to look like a complete f***ing amateur because of this mess.

• 2. Re: Mercury playback stuttering
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ChrisBrearley1 wrote:

Why is it that on this forum I could ask a completely noob question of which the answer could be found be doing a quick search of the manual and that would get a flood of answers.

However, when I have a serious issues which means I have clients sat over my shoulder who are paying over £1000 to be in my suite are asking me why my £6000 system cannot play their footage back without being all choppy, no-one seems to have any idea.

I can't answer for everybody else, but for me I didn't answer because I don't have a setup like yours to test with.

Mylenium or any of the Adobe guys who might pop their heads in have some very in-depth technical knowledge and might be able to help better than I, but keep in mind that this is just a user-to-user forum. If you want official Adobe support (and this issue will probably require a fairly high-level Adobe tech-person to solve), I'd suggest contacting Adobe's technical support team.

In the meantime, a bit more info might help. When you say it's dropping "the odd frame", how bad are we talking. Are we talking a stutter here and there or are we experiencing a pretty frequent glitching? Is your Windows updated to at least Service Pack 1?

Can you give a more detailed description of your GPU setup? What exact model of monitor or TV do you have plugged in to what?

• 3. Re: Mercury playback stuttering
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

... and the Mercury Transmit expert is on vacation for a few days.

• 4. Re: Mercury playback stuttering
                scattar Level 1

When I say stuttering I do mean that it seems to be dropping the odd frame here and there. It's not like it's unwatchable, nothing flashes or distorts but it is enough for everyone who comes in to the room to ask me what is wrong with my monitor. Sometimes it looks fine, then I can stop playback and then play it back again from the same RAM preview and it might stutter again.

Windows 7 is on SP1 and is fully up-to-date. I have two GPUs, a 780 6Gb and a 680 4Gb. I have a Panasonic 42" THX calibrated monitor which is plugged into the HDMI from the back of the 780. This is the same monitor and cable I used with my Matrox MX02 Mini before Mercury Transmit which had no issue with playback. Unfortunately the latest Matrox drivers do not work with AE 13.1 - AE completely refuses to see it. I am currently working through this issue with Matrox but their driver updates are a shambles.

• 5. Re: Mercury playback stuttering
                  lawrenced82266656

Problem of the driver yet solved?

I have a same issue with my newly bought Matrox M9138...

AE 13.2 doesn't recognise or see the Matrox card in Mercury Transmit.

• 6. Re: Mercury playback stuttering
                    scattar Level 1

Yeah. Sometimes the Matrox drivers don't work when installing over old ones even after having uninstalled the older version. I had to do a clean wipe of Adobe CC and then install the latest Matrox drivers. Make sure you have Premiere installed as well otherwise it won't work. Premiere seems to have control over how the devices work ie whatever settings premiere is using on the matrox hardware then AE will follow suit.

Bit of a nightmare, it makes me think twice about updating Matrox drivers as this was the third time it's happened after updating that the hardware couldn't be found.

• 7. Re: Mercury playback stuttering
                      ianduncan

Did you ever find a solution.

I have the same problem in premiere.  As soon as the mercury transmit is enabled the video stutters every couple of seconds.

I have the two monitors for the premiere app (DP) and then a 1080 TV monitor for the mercury transmit (HDMI).

There is no bottleneck in the system.  GPU, CPU, SSD all running far below 100%.

12 core i7

64gb ram

Titan X

Lots of SSDs

Its smooth if i disable transmit.

• 8. Re: Mercury Transmit stuttering
                        chrisbrearley Level 1

No I never found a solution to this problem. The only way to get decent playback to to use a video i/o device. Thankfully Blackmagic sorted their drivers out so I could use my Intensity 4k.

I've just bought a new i7 laptop for on-set editing and have the same problem with mercury transmit direct from the GPU. Playback is fine on my main monitor in both AE and Prem but the external monitor drops frames and stutters. I now need to find a mobile solution for a video i/o device as clearly this issue still has not been addressed, so monitoring direct from the GPU is not an option. Trouble is my new laptop only has usb-c and all the decent video i/o devices are thunderbolt 1/2 and there's no word of any usb-c video i/o device coming out anytime soon.