7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2014 2:20 PM by Szalam

Consistently crashes during RAM preview and Render que?

epg89

Every single time I try to preview my project, in the exact same spot, my computer crashes and a blank adobe popup pops up OR after affects just crashes. It is DEFINITELY not my computer's graphics card or ram as I just bought the Razer Blade 14 with 16 GB ram and one of the best graphics cards on the market. Literally... 3 days old... and every other app works just fine. But halfway through my project, when I try to preview it in ram preview or add to render que, it crashes or "cannot create image buffer". What do I do???? I really need to get this working. My midterm depends on it.

I use creative cloud.

• 1. Re: Consistently crashes during RAM preview and Render que?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We will need a lot more information to help.

We need to know things like, full system specs, exact version number of AE, what is in your comp (specifically things like what effects, what sort of assets, the size of those assets, etc.), and more

See this: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

Although, with as little RAM as you have, an error message about the image buffer wouldn't be surprising if you have some large layers in your scene. 16 GB is a fairly small amount of RAM for working with AE. Again, without knowing anything about the contents of your composition, we are just guessing.

• 2. Re: Consistently crashes during RAM preview and Render que?
            epg89 Level 1

My computer specs: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade#spec

AE version- Creative Cloud 2014(most recent because creative cloud consistently updates)

My computer is BRAND new and there is nothing on here except photoshop, lightroom, after affects(all creative cloud downloads) apps, this project, and spotify.

All files in the project are quicktime files.

• 3. Re: Consistently crashes during RAM preview and Render que?

Yikes, that says you only have 8GB of RAM. That is really on the low end for AE work!

Working in AE with small amounts of RAM like 8 or 16 is doable, you just have to learn how to handle the system resources. If you would give us more information as I requested, we can help you narrow down where the problem is occurring.

What codec are these QuickTime files encoded in?

What effects have you applied in your comp? Time remapping? Motion Tile? Fractal Noise?

Any solid layers or shape layers? If so, what size are they?

How many layers do you have?

Do you have any precomps?

Please confirm that your AE version number is 13.1.1 (We've had folks posting here that they were on the latest version when they were on 12.0.1 before because something was messed up in their CC software, so it was saying they were up-to-date and they weren't.)

• 4. Re: Consistently crashes during RAM preview and Render que?
                epg89 Level 1

16 GB for a laptop is pretty big... Most desktops have that I thought.

The files have no filters affects or anything. They're around 100MB a piece and they are just solid quicktime filed from an SDHD card.

Now it's saying there's an internal verification error? 25 layers, but the layers aren't overlapping and they're relatively small layers...

I'm very new to after affects, so I don't even no what a precomp is. I'm assuming I don't have that.

AE version number is 13.1.1

• 5. Re: Consistently crashes during RAM preview and Render que?

epg89 wrote:

16 GB for a laptop is pretty big... Most desktops have that I thought.

16 is pretty good for a laptop, I was just talking about working in AE regardless of platform. I definitely prefer desktops or workstations for AE work because you get a lot more bang for your buck as far as processing power and RAM go. Some folks on these forums have over 100GB of RAM which is pretty crazy. I'm running 48 at work and 24 (or 36, I can't remember offhand I bought the machine about 4 years ago) at home. For AE work, I'd suggest 16 as the minimum (even though it can run with less).

Now, lets figure out why your crashes are happening!

I'm guessing your footage is straight from a camera? That probably means it's using some flavor of H.264 in the codec. Try transcoding your footage (using the Adobe Media Encoder) to a proper production codec instead of using that highly compressed footage. QuickTime with the PNG codec is technically lossless at high quality levels, but if you're worried about file size, you could do QuickTime with the PhotoJPEG codec. It's visually lossless and is probably fine for your work.

What are your memory and multiprocessing settings?

If you could get the exact text of any/all error messages, that would help. Also, if you can get the crash log that could help too.

If you don't have any effects applied, why are you using AE? What are you doing with it? Perhaps you should be using a video editing program instead. Premiere Pro is really good. Again, it depends on what you're doing.

As you're new to After Effects (if you do, in fact, need to use it) I would highly recommend that you start here: Getting started with After Effects

• 6. Re: Consistently crashes during RAM preview and Render que?
                    epg89 Level 1

Wait... yeah... okay. So here's the sitch. I was a macintosh owner for 4 years and I adjusted to final cut express. Since I just got my pc, and I have creative cloud, I thought to use adobe products for editing my midterm video. I asked my friends and they all directed me towards after affects. I'm still looking for effects for my video clips, but nothing 3D..

I didn't even know what premier was a few hours ago. Thanks you!!! If I just render the video in smaller exports, could I piece them back together in premier?

• 7. Re: Consistently crashes during RAM preview and Render que?

epg89 wrote:

If I just render the video in smaller exports, could I piece them back together in premier?

Yes.

What might be even easier would be to render an image sequence out of AE. Then, when it crashes, pick up rendering from the frame where it crashed. Then you can import the resulting image sequence into Premiere, After Effects, or the Adobe Media Encoder as a single video file to add sound and/or render it into your delivery format.

If After Effects doesn't have a problem with that specific frame, but just crashes in general after a certain number of frames, perhaps going into AE's "secret" preferences and changing those settings might help. (A simple Google search will turn up a ton of info about that.)