5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2007 8:53 PM by ana_rad

Opening files via Default Program

ana_rad
      Can someone tell me why my PNG files cannot be opened with Fireworks if I try to set it as the default program in Windows? I had Version 6.0 & 8.0 installed on my machine. I was running them concurrently without a problem. After I uninstalled Fireworks 6.0 the problem occured. I couldnt no longer double click a PNG file and have it automatically open the program. When I try to re-associate the PNG extension with Fireworks it doesnt let me select the fireworks.exe program from C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks 8 directory.

Any ideas how to fix this?
        • 1. Re: Opening files via Default Program
          Level 7
          ana_rad,

You might try deleting the png file extension from the list of
          associated files and recreating it. That has worked for me in the past.

alex

ana_rad wrote:
          > Can someone tell me why my PNG files cannot be opened with Fireworks if I try
          > to set it as the default program in Windows? I had Version 6.0 & 8.0 installed
          > on my machine. I was running them concurrently without a problem. After I
          > uninstalled Fireworks 6.0 the problem occured. I couldnt no longer double click
          > a PNG file and have it automatically open the program. When I try to
          > re-associate the PNG extension with Fireworks it doesnt let me select the
          > fireworks.exe program from C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks 8 directory.
          >
          > Any ideas how to fix this?
          >
          • 2. Re: Opening files via Default Program
            ana_rad Level 1
            I just tried that and when I added it back in I had to use the 'select a program from a list' option because it wasnt listed in the program lsit. Therefore, i had to browse for the fireworks.exe file, once i located it, i selected it, and it does nothing. It doesnt recognise that fireworks is a program that it can use to open the file.
            • 3. Re: Opening files via Default Program
              Level 7
              Browse through some of the other file extensions and look at how the
              open command is set for them. Then try to replicate this with the png
              extension. I know for a fact that sometimes file associations can be a bear.

alex

ana_rad wrote:
              > I just tried that and when I added it back in I had to use the 'select a
              > program from a list' option because it wasnt listed in the program lsit.
              > Therefore, i had to browse for the fireworks.exe file, once i located it, i
              > selected it, and it does nothing. It doesnt recognise that fireworks is a
              > program that it can use to open the file.
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: Opening files via Default Program
                Level 7
                via the Advanced button, that is ....

Alex Mariño wrote:
                > Browse through some of the other file extensions and look at how the
                > open command is set for them. Then try to replicate this with the png
                > extension. I know for a fact that sometimes file associations can be a
                > bear.
                • 5. Re: Opening files via Default Program
                  ana_rad Level 1
                  Thanks Alex - that worked! :-)