6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2014 3:40 PM by Jessica Judd

I cannot restore my LR catalog

Jessica Judd

The filesystem on my Macbook failed a few weeks ago.  I was able to retrieve all my data, including my LR catalog files, and moved it all to an external drive.  I have reformatted the drive and reinstalled LR and transferred everything back to the Macbook.  I have followed all the steps to restore the LR catalog but I cannot get it to open.  When I open it I get the following message, "Lightroom cannot use the catalog named 'Lightroom 3 Catalog' because it is  not writable and cannot be opened.  This could be caused by incorrect permissions or because another Lightroom application is using the catalog.  You may try to the correct the problem or you may select a different catalog.''  I have checked the file permissions and they are set so that only I can read and write to the files.  I have also already deleted any lract.lock files and rebooted my machine and it is still not working.  Any ideas on anything else to try?  I am very frustrated.  Thank you!I

• 1. Re: I cannot restore my LR catalog
          dj_paige Level 9

Is the catalog file marked as read-only?

• 2. Re: I cannot restore my LR catalog
            Jessica Judd Level 1

No. When I click on "Get Info" for the file it says that I can read and write to the file under "Sharing and Permissions".  Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: I cannot restore my LR catalog
              dj_paige Level 9

I'm not a Mac person, I don't know where else you should look, but maybe someone else (or Google) can tell you.

What do you mean "I have checked the file permissions"? Did you check the permissions of the folder that your Lightroom catalog is stored in?

Also, What file? Are you sure this is the exact catalog file Lightroom is trying to open? What happens if you double-click on this catalog file that you claim has the proper permissions?

• 4. Re: I cannot restore my LR catalog
                Jessica Judd Level 1

I am opening the .lrcat file.  When I open it, I get the message I described above: "Lightroom cannot use the catalog named 'Lightroom 3 Catalog' because it is  not writable and cannot be opened.  This could be caused by incorrect permissions or because another Lightroom application is using the catalog.  You may try to the correct the problem or you may select a different catalog.'' This happens if I open it directly from the finder or from within Lightroom. 

When I google this issue all the advice I see is to delete the lrcat.lock file and I have already tried that and it is still not working. 

When I say I checked the permissions, I mean I clicked on "Get Info" for both the file and the folder is is in and both list me (as in, my user account) as being permitted to read and write to the file and folder.   These are the same permissions that I have on a different, functional Lightroom catalog on a different machine.  When I googled the issue, I could not find any answer about what could be wrong with my permissions (according to everything I have found they are set correctly).  Hence my frustration.

• 5. Re: I cannot restore my LR catalog
                  dj_paige Level 9

You haven't addressed the issue of whether or not you are looking at the permissions on the folder/file that Lightroom is actually using. How do you know that Lightroom is not trying to open some other catalog? You need to nail this down with 100% certainty.

You haven't tried double-clicking on the catalog file of interest to see what happens.

When I mentioned Google, it is because I am not a MAC person, but the issue you need to look up is how to make sure the catalog file is not set to be read-only in your operating system. On Windows, permissions is different than setting a file to be read-only. On Windows, you can have write permission, but if the file is read-only, you still can't write to it.

• 6. Re: I cannot restore my LR catalog
                    Jessica Judd Level 1

I am in fact double clicking on the lrcat file.  I get the error message when I do that.  I get the same error message when I also try to access that lrcat file from with Lightroom.  Either way, same message.