12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 5:13 PM by A.T. Romano

unwanted cropping on imported video file

duphus1970

Hi

im new to prem elements.  The problem is on trying to import a DV file (MPEG I think) the clip plays fine but is missing the right hand side 20% of the frame.  It plays fine in widows media player and it worked fine in the trial version of prem elements 13 ?  can anybody assist, its very frustrating ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The 2 links for importing video, and project settings, may help - Several Premiere Elements Help and Tutorial Links

• 2. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
            A.T. Romano Level 7

duphus1970

Are you saying that you now have the purchased Premiere Elements 13, and there you are experiencing the problem that you report?

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

From what you wrote, export is not involved in the problem. Rather the issue targets the view of the file in the Edit area monitor after import. Is that correct?

When you say that 20% of the frame is missing, what is there within the Edit area monitor - black borders - where top, bottom, left, right?

You need to know the properties of your source, and then you (manually) or the project (automatically) needs to set the project preset to match those properties.

Please tell us what you see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out). If the video came from a camera, if you let us know the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video, we could get a the properties of the source.

We will be watching for further information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
              duphus1970 Level 1

Hi there

Many thanks for the reply.  Your help is appreciated.

The answers to your questions.

Yes – I have purchased the full version of Premier Elements 13

Its running on Windows 7 64 bit.

The screen shot below shows the issue.  On the left hand side of the desk top you can see the same clip as it should look within Windows Media Player as well as how it does look in the editor window.  Interestingly on the right hand side of the desk top you can see how the clip appears in Organizer i.e. also cropped.

are

The setting you asked to see are

The source is Cannon Legria FS306 camcorder.  The manual says this records in MPEG 2

Thank you again, I hope you can help.

Kind regards

Mark

• 4. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
                duphus1970 Level 1

Hi John

Thank you for your reply but no luck as yet…

I’ll keep trying

Regards

Mark

• 5. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark

Thanks for the reply.

I think the screenshots are going to prove critical to working through the issues to a solution.

But, your screenshots did not post. Please try again.

Typically all goes well in this regard if you post using the route

a. getting to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum via your web browser

b. signing in and navigating to your thread in the Adobe Premiere Elements

c. entering your screenshots as jpg images using the camera icon (insert image) at the top of your reply space.

We will be watching for the screenshots.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
                    duphus1970 Level 1

screenshot 2.jpgscreenshot 1.jpg

Hi ATR

Screenshots above - thanks again

regards

mark

• 7. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

duphus1970

I think that I have targeted the cause of your issue. Let us see.

From what I have read your Canon FS306 is indeed giving you standard definition video as 16:9. And, these files have MPEG2 compression.

But, the major matter is that these are .mod widescreen files. And, therein resides the issue. It is an old and long story.

Here is what we are going to do.

Set your Premiere Elements 13 project preset manually to

PAL

DV Widescreen

To set manually the project preset....Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. In the Change Settings dialog, select the above setting.

In closing out of there you will see the new project dialog. In that dialog, make sure that there is a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project". Then close out of there to get back to the Expert workspace where you will then import your MPEG2.mod file.

In the Expert workspace, import the MPEG2.mod file into the project via Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

In Project Assets, right click the thumbnail for the file, select Interpret Footage. In the Interpret Footage dialog, go to the Pixel Aspect Ratio

section and dot the Conform to: and select "D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587)". Click OK to close the Interpret Footage dialog.

If you have any problems with this type of file besides the aspect ratio, then, before you import the file into Premiere Elements, rename only the file extension part of the file name from .mod to .mpg.

Drag your video to the Expert workspace Timeline. Does the image fill the Edit area monitor space?

We will be watching for your results when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
                        duphus1970 Level 1

Hi there

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately it didn’t work.  I have overcome the immediate problem but via a downloaded video converter – converting to the DVD PAL setting and then importing so I’m over the urgent need to get it fixed but it would still be good to understand why premier elements is behaving in this way.

Thanks again

Mark

• 9. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark

Based on the information that you supplied, I am surprised that the details given did not resolve the issue that you presented. Mod files, especially Mod widescreen, are often problematic in Premiere Elements - for standard or widescreen, file extension .mod (which often needs to be renamed .mpg) and widescreen,  missing 16:9 flag to stretch video for display after encoding.

In what way did the suggested fix not work?

You said that you started with MPEG2.mod. What did you do - convert the MPEG2.mod to PAL DV AVI Widescreen with your converter

that you downloaded?

ATR

• 10. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
                            duphus1970 Level 1

Hi Again

It didn’t work in that the issue as previously described was still present.  The frame is still being clipped in the way it was.

Your question “You said that you started with MPEG2.mod. What did you do - convert the MPEG2.mod to PAL DV AVI Widescreen with your converter that you downloaded?” – yes, that’s what I did.

Thanks for your ongoing patience and assistance

Mark

• 11. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
                              slainte1708

Hi,

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem other than using a third part video converter? I am currently trialling Premiere elements 13 but have found that 25% of the picture on the right hand side is lost.  It looks similar to your problem and affects *.MOD files created using Canonb and JVC camcorders.

What I did notice is that the picture size is 720x576 according to windows file information and VLC media player but adjusts to 540x576 on import. I have tried the method described by AT Romano but it still changes the clip on import and includes a black band at either side when I add it to the timeline.  I've searched through the forums and have seen several references to the same problem but no real solutions that I can find.

The reviews I've read of Premeire Elements all rate it highly, normally above similar packages, and as I'm also looking for photo editing software the Elements package would be the logical route for me. However, if I cannot do the simple task of importing my video files then I will have to look at alternatives.  The trial version of Sony Movie Studio opens my files without problem(after renaming the file ending to *.MPG, which has no effect in elements) . 

Incidentally,  i first noticed the problem when trying to use the shake removal tool - because it crops the video to a non-standard size, it can;t run the shake removal algorithm.

Chris.

• 12. Re: unwanted cropping on imported video file
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

The recently released Premiere Elements 13.1 Update did not resolve

a. the program's handling of .mod widescreen files...in prior versions, most got away with the Interpret Footage fix. But that does not work any more in 13 or 13.1 since you cannot change the Interpret Footage Pixel Aspect Ratio to the widescreen set since it is already listed at that.

b. it appears to be inherent in the Shake Stabilizer that it will not stabilize videos whose properties do not match the established project preset.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/shake-stabilizer.html

Recently discovered that you cannot use Shake Stabilizer on same clip with Time Mapping or Time Stretch.

I am not sure if filing an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form will help.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Please let me know if you have questions or need clarification on the above.

Thank you.

ATR