7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 4:29 PM by TheOriginal150mph

basic working/Master Page questions

TheOriginal150mph Level 1

Beginner - creating 80 pg catalog in ID -

I'm a little confused with using  ID master pages and don't have time to go through a lot of tutorials at the moment. I created a new doc with 4 master pages (all spreads) to use at will throughout, intending to swap out text and images in page layout mode once the master pages are dragged down into the page layouts section of the palette.

After dragging pages from the Master Pages section down into pages palette, creating new spreads, the page layouts can't use any of the elements until I select them and then choose Override Master Page Items? So none of the text formatting/picture boxes/elements are ready to use by default? I don't get it … master pages are by default meant to be background elements only?

Switching from Quark, where all Master Page elements are ready to swap in text and images after dragging them into the page layout panel. How to best accomplish having the Master page elements immediately available for use in page layouts? Template?

LMK if I need to provide more info...

ID 6/CS4  Macos10.6.8

• 1. Re: basic working/Master Page questions
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Master objects in ID are not like they are in Quark. If they have content in them you must override them before you can alter them. Empty master frames can receive content via File > Place... without overriding. You can override any master object by holding Cmd + Shift and left click on it.

The general principle for using master objects in ID is if they need to be overridden to use them, you really need a darn good reason to put them on the master page at all since you defeat the purpose of having them on the master when you do that.

TheOriginal150mph wrote:

I'm a little confused with using  ID master pages and don't have time to go through a lot of tutorials at the moment.

You'd be much better served if you did spend some time training. You'll never get good at ID as long as you continue to think like a Quark user.

• 2. Re: basic working/Master Page questions

thanks for reply. I took (wasted) some time searching for and going through a couple of tutorials, neither addressed this issue:

How to best accomplish having the Master page elements (formatted text, pic boxes) immediately available for use in page layouts? (thats why i made them)

• 3. Re: basic working/Master Page questions
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As I said, ID is not Quark, and it does not work the same way. You can pre-format master frames (best to assigne object styles to them) and then override.

• 4. Re: basic working/Master Page questions

thanks. ok, object styles. i can look into that.

this catalog is almost all pics and labels. i can finish it without advanced ID skills i don't have time to study in depth at the moment.

Without knowing advanced skills, ID master pages can be use exactly like Quark, just that by default the content boxes can't be used without "overriding"

• 5. Re: basic working/Master Page questions
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Don't put these things on the master. Create a library file and create once each type in exact position into the library. Later, when you need one of these elements, select them and place them via panel command and it will be at the exact same place.

Work with styles. But use character styles only for exceptions. (Not as in Quark.)

Work with layers, they are also available on the master (contrary to Quark).

And no, ID masters cannot be used as Quark masters, the concept of both programs is too different, you will run into huge problems, if you use ID like Quark.

• 6. Re: basic working/Master Page questions

Ok thanks. I'll look into library files too. I'm really not being lazy, I just don't have time for indepth ID learning for this project at the moment. Obviously spending quality hours learning the intended method is the best approach, but in a pinch, I've actually created what I need using Master pages—just like Quark—and exported final pdfs fine, despite what I'm hearing. So yes, it can be done. ;0)

But I don't use Photoshop or Illustrator or Director or Dreamweaver quite like anyone else either.

• 7. Re: basic working/Master Page questions

Can anyone point to a good webpage or video tutorial about setting up/creating a large catalog (or book)—with multiple page layout templates— in ID using Libraries? I did some googling and checked adobeTV and didn't see anything...