3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2014 6:56 PM by A.T. Romano

Compress a Video in Premiere Elements 13

Gehrtzm

Hi,

I am very new to premiere elements 13, and have created a video and am trying to export it.  It is a 3 minute video shot with a rebel t3i in .mov format and I need to export to a file that is less than 30 mb to upload to a website.  I have imported into premiere elements and edited to get to the current length. I can't seem to get it down to under 30mb without the quality of the video being unrecognizable.  Any advice on how to go about this process to maintain as much quality while reducing the size?  What format would be best, what settings can be modified to reduce the file size and maintain quality, etc.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Compress a Video in Premiere Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gehrtzm

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

What are the properties of your source file - video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio?

Assuming 1920 x 1080p30

Consider....

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

with Presets = 720 x 480 16x9 29.97

then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset

Video Codec: Windows Media Video 9

Frame Width: 1920

Frame Height: 1080

If problem setting width and height, click on chain icon to right of these fields to remove chain.

Frame Rate: 29.97 frames per second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Average Video Bitrate: 7000 Kbps (kilobits per second)

Please give that a try and let us know if that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Compress a Video in Premiere Elements 13
            Gehrtzm Level 1

ATR,

The operating system I am running is Mac OS X Yosemite, version 10.10.

The source file was 1920x1080p30 as you stated - after looking back at it, it seemed that it was a pretty high quality video. 

Going through the process that you mentioned, I applied the following settings:

Quicktime, NTSC DV 16:9

with presents 720x480 16x9 29.97

Video Codec: Apple Pixlet Video - Not sure on the difference between all the options here, so i just chose one to see where it ended up.

Frame width: 1920

Frame height: 1080

Frame Rate: 29.97 fps

square pixels (1.0)

Limit data rate to 1000 kbps - the file size is estimated at 21mb

Applying those settings, the file is still near 185 mb.

Suggestions on the codec for mac? In the future, would it be better to have a source file that is not as high quality? Ideally what is the best situation for loading video to a website/email/etc?

Thanks for your help!!

• 3. Re: Compress a Video in Premiere Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gehrtzm

Please look at your QuickTime export setting with a check mark next to Limit data rate to _______ kbps and try typing in 7000 for starters and adjusting the bitrate there to find the compromise between bitrate, quality, and quality.

If you can get the file size that you want, it is my understanding that the best Mac way to go is H.264.mov or H.264.mp4.

ATR