8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2014 10:14 AM by thomaspalmer22

Page Numbering

thomaspalmer22

If I have set up a document with pages numbers (markers) as special characters is there anyway to delete them from random pages, i.e. under a full page photo, and still have them run sequentially through the book?  Thank you

• 1. Re: Page Numbering
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Absolutely. Number markers report the logical page number assigned to the page, which doesn't change if the marker is showing or not.

Either use a different master page (without the marker) for the ones you wish to be unmarked or override and delete the existing marker.

Or do you mean you want some pages not to "count" in the number sequence at all, so you would have 1,2,3,Blank,4, blank,5...?

I personally don't think that's a good idea, though less bad if you skip an even number of pages so the numbering doesn't flip-flop side to side, but it can be done by assigning a new section start to the the "blank" page and the "numbered"page after, and assigning new start numbers. use a differnt number style for the blanks (a, b, c, for example) to keep ID from complaining about duplicate numbers.

• 2. Re: Page Numbering
            thomaspalmer22 Level 1

I want all the pages to count, but have the number disappear on the picture pages.  How do I "override and delete".  (Makes me feel like an action hero saving the Earth).

Thanks

• 3. Re: Page Numbering
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For those pages, put the images on another layer above the master page items.

You could also duplicate your master page, delete those pages numbers and apply that master page to the pages with images.

• 4. Re: Page Numbering
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To more fully answer how to override and delete, hold down the Ctrl (Windows)/Cmd(Mac) + Shift keys and click a master object to override and select it.

This can be a pain if it's behind something else, though, so you might need to hold down the keys and marquee through the covering object to select it, to, then release the Ctrl/Cmd key and click again to deselect the object in front. Or deselect everything after the marquee step, then hold Ctrl/Cmd and click down through the stack. A master page with no marker is probably easier.

You can also move the markers in front of the images if you add a layer to the document above the images layer and move your markers onto that layer.

• 5. Re: Page Numbering
                  thomaspalmer22 Level 1

Thanks Peter and Eugene -

Luckily the design is quite simple so overriding and deleting is very easy to do.  Many thanks.

• 6. Re: Page Numbering
                    °|°

Make the most of the Master Page function.

Assuming you have a master page/spread with current page number set up, create another master without it and apply this master to the pages you don't need page numbers.

That will save you the need to repeatedly override and delete individual items.

• 7. Re: Page Numbering
                      Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I suggested earlier...

• 8. Re: Page Numbering
                        thomaspalmer22 Level 1

Will keep that in mind for the next project, thanks