3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2006 6:25 PM by kglad

Splitting up the preloader

alexwhite06
      Hello,

We have a main flash file that preloads everything, the problem is we have a dozen or so project pages (saved as movie clips in the library) that contain fairly large files. Not everyone will want to see every project page so what we are trying to do is make the preloader of the main site load all the menus and contact page, and then when someone clicks on a project sheet, it will again preload that for them. Everything is in the one flash file at the moment and it would be optimal if we could keep it that way, obviously that may be impossible but if it is I'd rather know now than after spending a week trying to figure it out.

SO basically, 1)Is what we are trying to do actually possible in flash (version 8 by the way), and if it is, can anyone help by pointing us in the right direction?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Alex White

EJE architecture
        • 1. Re: Splitting up the preloader
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          it's not possible to keep everything in one file AND only load those items that are needed.

you can either keep everything in one file and load everything (whether it's viewed by a user or not) or you can put, for example, your projects in their own swf file and load them only if requested by a user.
          • 2. Re: Splitting up the preloader
            alexwhite06 Level 1
            OK, that is good to know, thank you.

Now, is there an easy way to imbed a flash file into another one? Basically I don't want to have to have all my menus on every project file, if I could just imbed the project swf files into the frame of the menu swf file, it would be brilliant.

Any way to acheive this?

Thank you again for any help.

Alex White
            • 3. Re: Splitting up the preloader
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              you're welcome.

you can load your external swfs using loadMovie(). you can create an empty movieclip (either with actionscript or in the authoring envrionment), give it an instance name (say targetMC), place that clip where you want your external swf to appear, and then use targetMC.loadMovie("yourProject.swf") to replace the targetMC with your project swf.