13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 4:50 PM by bryans30945200

updates to camera raw

wkruser

How do I and where do I find needed updates for Adobe Camera Raw.   I am using photoshop CS5.1 on Windows 7 (64).  I recently puchased a Nikon D7100 camera and when I go to look at the NEF files I get the error message that camera raw needs to be updated to view these images. 

• 1. Re: updates to camera raw
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With that camera you will have to use the dng converter, as there isn't a camera raw update that will work with CS5.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 8.7

• 2. Re: updates to camera raw
            wkruser Level 1

Hi and thanks for the info.  I downloaded the program you told me.  Now what happens?  Does it automatically update to CS5.1 and now I can work on images

Thansk so much for your help

• 4. Re: updates to camera raw
              wkruser Level 1

I downloaded Adobe DNG and it still does not recognize the NEF files from my D7100.   What am I doing wrong?

• 5. Re: updates to camera raw

You need to manually use the DNG converter to convert your RAW files to DNG before they can be opened in Photoshop. You also need to select a Camera Raw version when you convert them to DNG that is compatible with CS5, which would be ACR (Camera Raw) 6.7 or lower.

• 6. Re: updates to camera raw
                  wkruser Level 1

OK, I downloaded DNG converter 6.7 to my computer.  After install was complete, I rebooted the computer.   I then clicked on select folder and the folder where my new files from the D7100 are located, DNG does not see them.  Nor does it see the JPG files in the same folder 

• 7. Re: updates to camera raw

You want to download the DNG converter that I put in the link. It is 8.7. It will convert all the current cameras. You open the dng converter, not Photoshop or Bridge. and use the dng converter to convert your raw files to a lower version of camera raw. In your case, it would version 6.7. Once you have converted the files, you should be able to see them in Photoshop and Bridge.

• 8. Re: updates to camera raw
                      Bo LeBeau Level 4

Only select the FOLDER that contain your .NEF files.

If you open the folder you cannot select any files..

It works on entire folders, not individual files!

• 9. Re: updates to camera raw
                        wkruser Level 1

csuebele,  I did that.  I downloaded 8.7,  then I made sure that the only things in the folder were the NEF files.  I started the DNG converter and went to that folder containing only NEF files from the D7100 and it says that there is nothing that matches my search. 

Sorry to be such a pain but it just not seem to be working for me..

• 10. Re: updates to camera raw
                          bryans30945200

I, too, just recently got a Nikon D7100 and found that my Photoshop CS5 couldn't read the NEF files and that my Bridge version of ACR couldn't convert them.  I downloaded Adobe DNG Converter 8.7.1.311 and it worked for about two weeks.  As of yesterday, it stopped seeing the .NEF files.  I insert the memory card (a SanDisk  Extreme Plus 32 GB card) into my desktop's card reader (device G:) and direct Converter to G: (Nikon 7100)>DCIM>101D7100 and get the following message:  No items match your search.  Yet if I direct Bridge to the same location, it shows three .NEF files, which, of course, it can't use.  Same thing with Photoshop.  It sees the .NEF files, but can't use them.  What's wrong with the DNG Converter?  Why did it work for two weeks then stop seeing the files?  I'm using Windows 7 home premium, 64 bit operating system and 12 GB of RAM.  I see others have had the same problem, but I have yet to see an answer that solves the problem.  Some of the things I have done to no avail.

1) reinstall Adobe DNG Converter

2) reformat my memory cards

3) reboot my computer

Nothing has worked.  I take a lot of photos (45K on my old D80) and I shoot in RAW.  I need this conversion to work.

• 11. Re: updates to camera raw
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are usually a couple issues that trip people up:

1)      You should single-click on the folder that contains the NEFs rather than double-clicking into the folder to open it.  The DNG Converter works with FOLDERS not FILES so you’re only selecting the folder.  Using your example you'd single-click on the 101D7100 folder instead of double-clicking to open it.  You might also just single click on the DCIM and make sure the source subfolders processing is enabled.

2)      If you view/transfer/touch the NEFs with obsolete Nikon software then they’ll be corrupted as far as Adobe software can tell and it’ll refuse to read them.  There is a utility from the following website that will undo the corruption:  http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/fix_corrupted_nef.html

• 12. Re: updates to camera raw
                              bryans30945200 Level 1

With all due respect, I know how to open folders and not click on single files.  As I quite clearly stated in my post, the DNG Converter software worked perfectly for two weeks, then just stopped seeing the files.  And these are files still on the memory card which has not seen any other software, including the dreaded Nikon software.  What I'm really getting to hate is Adobe saying this is a Nikon problem while Nikon seems to think it's an Adobe problem.  At this point, I tend to agree with Nikon.  I've downloaded a trial version of Lightroom CC and it's working just fine, converting the NEF files to DNG files, but there has to be a better answer that doesn't require me subscribing to the Cloud.

• 13. Re: updates to camera raw
                                bryans30945200 Level 1

OK, for some reason, it started working again.  We'll see how long this lasts.