14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 9:28 PM by PRE_help

Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)

TomFreemanJLA

Hi guys, trying to get Adobe premiere elements working on a windows domain, will only run for local administrator, logged onto machine locally, not even a full domain administrator.

Any ideas?

Any help would be very very appreciated.

• 2. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TomFreeanJLA

Just searching for a particular thread, and I ran across your unanswered thread.

You posted very little information. So, if you supply the following, I will be glad for the opportunity

to try to help you resolve your issue if it still exists.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and have you applied Run As

Administrator to the program's desktop icon?

3. Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

4. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the whole Folder in which it exists?

5. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with Premiere Elements?

6. Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

7. Are you using the program with a mouse or one of those pen and tablet devices?

Let us start here and then decide our troubleshooting maneuvers based on your details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
            TomFreemanJLA Level 1

Hi ATR,

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, sorry for the lack of info in my previous message was pulling hairs out when i wrote that!! I really do appreciate any help you could give with this at all.

Here are the answers to those questions.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

It is the latest version of Premiere Elements 13, we are trying to get it to install on Win 7 32bit.

2. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and have you applied Run As

They are domain based machines, if you log on as local administrator on the machine the software will run, but if you log on as a domain user or even full domain admin it still doesn't load properly we get the error "Premiere Elements has encountered an error. [..\..\Src\Core\Preferences.cpp -353]

3. Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

It is new software we have never ran on our network before.

4. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the whole Folder in which it exists?

I did a search of the entire C drive of the machines for the preferences file and couldn't find it to try deleting it.    

5. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with Premiere Elements?

Yes i have tried installing the new version of quicktime on the machines, even though the version we already had installed met the recommendations.

6. Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Firewall is disabled across the domain, i've tried disabling the AV and it didn't make any difference.

7. Are you using the program with a mouse or one of those pen and tablet devices?

Just a normal mouse and keyboard.

• 4. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

TomFreemanJLA

Thanks for the reply.

Premiere Elements typically needs to be run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and on many occasions have applied Run As Administrator to the desktop icon. If you are in a school or company network (volume licensing situation) and since you have the latest version of the program, you might want to seek input from Adobe direct  through its Adobe Chat (volume licensing).

But, I would speculate...

What happens if you are forced into one of your Domain Accounts (even Domain Admin) and right click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file and select Run As Administrator?

Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 13\

Would that be in violation of your security requirements?

From what I have read about Domain accounts (not much) you should be able to do what you did, that is, elevate it to Domain Admin. Could the flaw be in the script/method that you may be using to add the Domain Admin to the computer Local Administrative group rather than in the programming of Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

HI TomFreemanJLA,

They are domain based machines, if you log on as local administrator on the machine the software will run, but if you log on as a domain user or even full domain admin it still doesn't load properly we get the error "Premiere Elements has encountered an error. [..\..\Src\Core\Preferences.cpp -353]

Do you have My Documents folder in the same system or in a network drive for these users ?

if yes, Try to move My Documents folder in the default location and try to launch Premiere Elements.

Regards,
                Sandeep

• 6. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                  TomFreemanJLA Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks again for your help, i've tried your suggestions of running the shortcut as administrator and running the exe itself from C drive as administrator and it still doesn't work.

I've tried to contact them but i can't seem to get the chat to work and phone support is unavailable, i'm going to try and load the chat from home this evening.

Hi Sandeep,

I can't change the location of the my documents on the network, else profiles wouldn't download correctly when a user logs in, as we store profile settings in there.

• 7. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

TomFreemanJLA

Thanks for the update.

Sandeep is part of Adobe Staff and best resource in finding a solution if there is one. So, hopefully Sandeep will see

your posted results and can offer more troubleshooting advice.

We will be watching for further developments.

Have you found program's other than Premiere Elements (all in the class asking for User Account with Admin Privileges) and were able to use them with those Domain Admin accounts? Knowing whether this issue (Domain Admin Account Type) is specific to Premiere Elements or not, would help

us rule out a lot of factors. Did you go over that already and I missed it?

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                      co-op

We're experiencing the same issue as above in our school. Local admin works fine, but domain admin gets the error.

Is there any solution to this? Surely Premiere Elements can work in a domain/roaming profile user environment?! Could it be to do with the fact that user profiles are saved to a network drive rather than a local C:\ drive?

Thanks in advance.

• 9. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

co-op

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system? Tom Freeman reported working with Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 32 bit.

All the information that I have on this matter is what has been indicated in the thread of Tom Freeman. Hopefully Tom will up date us on that outcome.

The frequency of appearance of Adobe Staff and the PRE_help team are not defined. Whether or not Sandeep Singh (Adobe Staff) will see your post is unknown.

You could try to send Sandeep Singh a private message pointing to this thread.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Sandeep%20Singh

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                          PRE_help Adobe Employee

There was one targeted fix for this error in the Premiere Elements 13.1 update. Please let us know if it helps..

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 11. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Is your report of a fix for the Domain account issues the first? I did not see it mentioned in the Adobe document which

cited the features of 13.1.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                              PRE_help Adobe Employee

ATR,

We have treated this as a bug fix rather than a new feature or an enhancement. Hence not listed in the release note.

Similarly,the keyframe.h issue on launch is fixed. By fixed, we mean they will not see the issue with the newer projects created with Premiere Elements 13.1. The already corrupt projects will still give this error.

Regards,
                              Premiere Elements Team

• 13. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Great news about the domain and keyframe h 142 issues in 13.1 Update.

Can we assume that these fixes are applying just to Premiere Elements 13.1 users?

Thank you very much for the Premiere Elements Team's help in these matter. Appreciated.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere elements has encountered an error (preferences.cpp-353)
                                  PRE_help Adobe Employee

Yes ATR. This will work fine only if you have 13.1 update installed.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team