2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2014 9:16 AM by user_twst

Global default setting for Table Space Before and After?

user_twst

I have InDesign CS6.

I have a need to set the options for Table Space Before and After to 0pts on the basic table and hold these values across all documents.

In other words, whenever I create a new document I want the settings for the table Space Before and Space After values to be 0 in the Basic Table.

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Global default setting for Table Space Before and After?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With no documents open, go to the Table Styles pallet, and change the value there. This will change that value in all newly created documents. There is a major pitfall to this approach, however. If the table gets copied to a document with different settings for Basic Table, your space parameters will get messed up.

Better to make a new table style (with no documents open), call it something like Zero Spacing Table, and set your spaces in that style to 0 for before and after.

• 2. Re: Global default setting for Table Space Before and After?
            user_twst Level 1

Thanks for the prompt response.

Thanks for pointing out the potential problem of copying the table, but fortunately that will not happen in this case. The pages being built are in a catalog production environment from xml files and the copy/pasting of tables to other documents simply isn’t an issue – it would cause all kinds of other unwanted ripple effects. So the “Best Practices” rule would forbid it.

Currently we do not define any table type at all in the xml, not even Basic Table, so it looks like we need to add that callout so that the space values can be respected.

I was half-hoping we could have some “real” default setting without having to call for a table type, but right now I’ll take anything that will fix my problem.

Thanks again. I got my answer.

Terry

770-425-3282 Extension 1831