5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2015 6:53 AM by G.Hoffmann

RGB Color management between Illustrator and Photoshop

michael_vienna

Hi,

I have a color management issue when exporting JPGs from Illustrator and opening them in Photoshop:
      In Illustrator (file is in RGB mode), I have a logo which has the color RGB 0/0/153 and I export a JPG. When I open the file in Photoshop, the color is RGB 1/0154.
      I have activated Adobe CC Color Manegement via Adobe Bridge (option "Europe, Universal 3"), which should produce consistent results in all Adobe applications.
      So which is the color that is actually in the file? And what do I have to do to get the color I want (0/0/153) actually exported from Illustrator? I need this color to comply with corporate design specifications of my client.
      Since I have to produce a lot of files it is not possible to readjust all colors in Photoshop ...
      Thank you!
      Michael

• 1. Re: RGB Color management between Illustrator and Photoshop
          jdanek Level 4

Post a screen shot of each application's Color Settings.  Use the Advanced view.  If you are getting the color you want out of Illustrator, why not end it there?  Is this for web view?  Wherever the file goes, there may be a shift because of different user settings and browser capabilities.

• 2. Re: RGB Color management between Illustrator and Photoshop
            SasquatchPatch Level 2

I'm going to take a very educated guess that your problem is the jpeg engine in Illustrator. Jpegs exported from Illustrator do exactly what you are describing, but if you export a tiff or a pdf, or do a Save As and save as a tiff, there is no numerical change to your pixel values. Saving a jpeg from a tiff brought over from Illustrator results in an almost identical values, with the final result being 0,0,152 rather than 153. That is close enough to not be able to see.

• 3. Re: RGB Color management between Illustrator and Photoshop
              Level 5

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

The "suite" concept is a fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries and different continents.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

• 4. Re: RGB Color management between Illustrator and Photoshop
                Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

First, check to make sure that the RGB working colorspace is the same for both Illustrator and Photoshop.

When exporting the jpeg from Illustrator make sure the 'embed' color profile is selected, and it is the color profile that is required for your client. If this is for web use, then sRGB is your best choice.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 8.38.25 PM.png

When you open the exported image in Photoshop, make sure that the color settings for Photoshop are set to 'Preserve Embedded Profiles'. After you open the image in Photoshop, you can double check by going to Edit > Convert to Profile... The source profile should match the embedded exported profile from Illustrator. If these match, your RGB color values from Illustrator and Photoshop should also match.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 8.43.08 PM.png

If the source profile does not match, cancel out of the 'Convert to Profile" and go to 'Assign Profile". Assign the profile that you embedded when exporting from Illustrator. Now Photoshop should have the same values as Illustrator.

• 5. Re: RGB Color management between Illustrator and Photoshop
                  G.Hoffmann Level 3

Good advice, but it seems, the OP is already familiar with synchronized color settings:

I have activated Adobe CC Color Manegement via Adobe Bridge (option "Europe, Universal 3"), which should produce consistent results in all Adobe applications.

And yes, Europe Universal contains RGB = sRGB.

When I open the file in Photoshop, the color is RGB 1/0154.

Probably 1/0/154, which is near to to the source 0/0/153.

No reason to worry about, the colors are perceptually identical (or very near to each other, as already mentioned).

JPEG compression implementation contains plenty degrees of freedom, therefore such a difference is not unusual.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann