8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2014 7:48 PM by JimHess

Still no brush in the gradient filter?

WickSmith Level 1

I was expecting that when an actual x.x upgrade for Lightroom 5 became available that it would catch up to the ACR feature set. The brush to remove or lessen areas in the gradient filter is a real help. I was really hoping to see that in Lightroom 5.7.

• 1. Re: Still no brush in the gradient filter?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am guessing that we will get the brush in Lightroom 6. But that is only a guess. If you are on the photography CC program there is a workaround in the meantime. You can apply the gradient adjustment using Lightroom. Then open the image in Photoshop as a smart object. If you then open the image in Camera Raw and choose the gradient filter you can see the pins and select them. Then you can apply the brush. This will work with the radial filter as well. Take note that this won't work using Camera Raw as a filter. You have to actually open the image in Camera Raw in order to do this.

• 2. Re: Still no brush in the gradient filter?
            WickSmith Level 1

Thanks, Jim. That's the technique I'm using now, and it isn't all that hard. Still, it seemed to me that ACR and Lightroom used to track pretty closely. If anything, Lightroom used to have a few refinements not found in in ACR. For example, in the HSL tab in LR you can use a scrubby cursor on the image to target a color which I don't believe is possible in PS.

• 3. Re: Still no brush in the gradient filter?
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

WickSmith wrote:

Still, it seemed to me that ACR and Lightroom used to track pretty closely.

That's all changed since Photoshop went CC. Photoshop CC (and ACR under it) are free to add new features when they are done. Lightroom, still being a perpetual license does not (even though LR is also available as a subscription). That's the way Adobe has to deal with R&D accounting. Subscription only can get new features, perpetual has to wait till the next major upgrade.

• 4. Re: Re: Still no brush in the gradient filter?
                WickSmith Level 1

You had a different view of the reason why there is no brush for the gradient filter awhile back

Uh, because there's no brushing mechanism in the Gradient Filter? Adding brush strokes would be a real departure from the way that the Gradient Filter applies a gradient for adjustments. Yes, it would be nice, but also a ton of work. The only brushing mechanism is in the Adjustment Brush. If you get good at it, it's not hard to use a local brush to adjust a gradient.

Once it was a technical problem, now an accounting problem. I guess that might make a good argument for Lightroom to go CC, so that the two applications would be able to develop in tandem. People could keep their perpetual license for the current version as they now can for PS6. But it seems a shame to have LR and PS share the same underlying RAW engine but have one out of sync with the other.

Bean counters have their own logic, of course, and the current situation while perhaps not optimal is not so bad.

• 5. Re: Still no brush in the gradient filter?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

WickSmith wrote:

You had a different view of the reason why there is no brush for the gradient filter awhile back

Yep...that was then, this is now. It's called "progress" (and the ACR/LR team does want to give what customers want/need–which is a good thing).

As for the bean counters, yep...that's an issue but one Adobe has moved on with subscription based licensing. Not popular with some users, but it's a better way of licensing from the standpoint of engineering and new features. So it has some benefit to users.

• 6. Re: Still no brush in the gradient filter?

I guess this is where the subscription users start pushing for Lightroom to go subscription only.

• 7. Re: Still no brush in the gradient filter?
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

JimHess wrote:

I guess this is where the subscription users start pushing for Lightroom to go subscription only.

Yeah, ya know, I suspect Adobe is just a bit gun-shy at this point. I don't see that happening...perpetual licensing advocates should be used to waiting till the next major upgrade for new features...it's just a bit unsettling to see ACR users get new stuff that LR user have to wait for. Adobe has repeatedly stated that they have no plan to take LR to subscription only and I think that's a promise they are taking seriously. But once LR 6 comes out, all will be forgiven (till the next ACR update that adds new features, then we'll need to explain this stuff all over again :~(

• 8. Re: Still no brush in the gradient filter?

I resisted the subscription plan until just recently. Now that I'm using it I really like it. At least I get all the Camera Raw updates.