3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 11:00 AM by A.T. Romano

Project does not open

Lars Oskar

I have edited a project on a PC running W7 64 bit and Premiere Elements 12. I have now changed to another PC (also running W7 64 bit), installed and updated the same P. E. 12. But, I can´t open the project edited on my earlier PC. I get an error message: "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

What can I do to solve this?

• 1. Re: Project does not open
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Lars Oskar

There is the possibility that you did not take into consideration keeping the project's source media connected to the project file?

How did you transfer the project from computer 1 to computer 2?

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Project does not open
            Lars Oskar Level 1

Thanks, A. T. Romano!

The files are on an external disc,  with letter "K" on the earlier PC; but letter "L" on the new one ("K" was occupied). I have now changed to "K" for the external disc and its all OK. But, its a strange error message for a media source error...

Lars

• 3. Re: Project does not open
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lars Oskar

Thanks for the great news that all is OK now with your workflow on the 2nd computer. Great job in sorting through the troubleshooting.

The Premiere Elements' Media Offline/Media Disconnect matters are particularly disturbing and sometimes difficult to resolve.

When you import media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals in the project file. And, those copies need to trace back

to the originals at the location where they were when they were first imported into the project. When they do not, then all sorts of problems

explained and unexplained.

Please keep in mind the Premiere Elements Project  Archiver and its Copy Project option when you are transferring Premiere Elements projects and their assets to another computer.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/archiving-projects.html

Please let us know if you are OK with the above.

Best wishes

ATR