14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 9:28 AM by mbsevans

I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.

lightroom 5.7

I installed 5.7 yesterday. Today I wanted to review some old slideshows, they did not play.

I can't create any new slideshows. Slideshow does not even work to review current photos. It appears that 5.7 has whacked the slideshow module completely

• 1. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm using Windows 7, and everything seems to be normal. Don't know what to suggest.

• 2. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
            lightroom 5.7 Level 1

I am on windows 7 as well. Thanks for the response. I will try re-installing since I now know someone else sees it working. I do appreciate the reply.

• 3. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
              icepucks2

This is an old problem that has existed since the 5.0 release.  I am running on a MAC 10.7.5.  This has been reported to Adobe and they have done nothing but identify some bullcrap fix.  Something to do wit syntax in your users name.  It has proven to be BS.  There are many users that have reported this, Adobe is following it.  It appears to be a random issue. 

I'm totally disgusted and want a refund for the most recent upgrade I paid for. 

Fix already Adobe!

• 4. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
                lightroom 5.7 Level 1

So, I downloaded the file again just in case there was a glitch in the first download, re-installed the program, and the slideshow module is working again.

In answer to icepucks2, this is the first time I have seen this problem, and it appears it is working well now. Not sure what to tell you on your issue, but thank you for your response, and I hope your issue is quickly resolved as well.

• 5. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
                  RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

Probably just an installation glitch. I am glad the reinstall fixed your issue.

• 6. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
                    bkahn0206

Similar problem here on MacBook Pro Retina, running OS X Mavericks 10.9.5.

On my computer, the Lightroom Mac Slideshow module has not worked properly since Lightroom 4.x

Since upgrading to Lightroom 5.x, both the Impromptu Slideshow (CMD-Return) or selecting the Slideshow Module from the Main navigation tabs has produced a completely black screen with no slideshow.

And today, after installing the Lightroom 5.7upgrade, the first thing I checked was the Slideshow module. The first few times I tried it, it appeared to hang Lightroom completely. Apple's Force Quit Panel showed Lightroom as being "Unresponsive," and after about a minute or so, I forced Lightroom to Quit.

I tried this a few times and then discovered that if I waited  about 4-5 minutes for a slideshow of 5 slides, Lightroom finally set up the Slideshow and gave me back control of the interface. (Apparently, Lightroom had to go through some kind of initialization process.) However, when I then tried to Preview or Play the slideshow, all I got was a completely black Lightroom window (Preview) or a completely black monitor screen (Play Slideshow) -- the same as with all previous versions of  Lightroom 5.x.

Now, selecting the Slideshow module sets up the slides quickly (no more initialization lag), but previewing or playing the slideshow still produces only a black Lighgtroom preview window or a black screen.

For a number of us Mac Lightroom users, this has been a persistent problem that Adobe has failed to address for almost two years now....

Very frustrating and disappointing situation...

--Bob K.

• 7. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
                      icepucks2 Level 1

This problem has existed since version 5.1.  Adobe knows about it but guess they just don't give a ****.  I want my $$$ back. The software doesn't work per specifications. I too run on a MAC 10.5.7. 

adobe I know you follow these forums. Fix your product or refund our money.  NOTHING on my system has changed. I have been using lightroom since version 2.0  version 5.0 and above does not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 8. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.

Well, icepucks2...

Actually, there was no Lightroom 5.1. Lightroom went from 5.0 to 5.2 Lightroom 5.2 Is Officially Out - Lightroom Killer Tips

Lightroom 5 requires Mac 10.7 or later so I doubt you are running it on 10.5.7.  System requirements | Lightroom  I know you mean 10.7.5 (from your previous posts)

BTW= works fine here and the original poster was able to fix by reinstalling.

Request a refund with customer service-this is a user-to-user forum. Contact Customer Care

• 9. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
                          icepucks2 Level 1

Rikk,

my bad on. The Mac operating system. Adobe does monitor is forum. There actually has been a response from them. I have reinstalled every new version with no success. I have not reinstalled lightroom.  As you can see I am not the only one having this issue. I'm glad you were able to resolve yours. You can hear the frustration of these users on this forum.  Very disturbing that there is no clue why this is happening let alone a fix from Adobe.

• 10. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.

You misunderstand. I did not resolve my issue. It never happened. Slideshow has worked from day one with no tweaks (on five different OS's - 2 Windows and 3 Mac). Given how few complaints there actually are compared to other issues, I am prepared to say you may have a system-specific issue.

If we can't duplicate it, or replicate it, we can't properly bug report it. 

• 11. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
                              bkahn0206 Level 1

Hi Rikk,

With all due respect, this problem of the Lightroom Slideshow module/feature not working in Lightroom 5.x is not isolated to a handful of Lightroom users. Over the past couple of years, there have been quite a few complaints about this anomalous behavior from both Mac and Windows Lightroom users--all of whom have stated that this problem first appeared with the introduction of Lightroom 5. That is, this problem apparently did not exist in Lightroom 4.x.(That was the case for me, also.)

For example, take a look at this Adobe Photoshop Family forum thread, which I contributed to about 6 months ago:

Lightroom 5: Slideshow - Black screen

Clearly, there's some kind of issue with Lightroom 5 that's causing both the impromptu slideshow (CMD-Return on a Mac) and the Slideshow module to display both a completely black slideshow preview window and a completely black or no images during playback of a full-screen slideshow...even though a dialog box appears with the message: "Preparing preview for slide xx" before the preview or playback begins.

I don't think the underlying problem has anything to do with a particular version of the Mac or Windows OS. (I've had this problem with both Mac OS X 10.8.x and 10.9.x). I suppose it's possible that there's some kind of Lightroom catalog issue, though that seems unlikely, given that the all the other Lightroom modules are working just fine.

More likely, I think the problem might be related to the graphics card/processor on certain computers. One thing that leads me to this conclusion is that I can generate a PDF slideshow from the Lightroom Slideshow module, which plays the slideshow full-screen from a PDF in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. The PDF slideshow properly displays the Lightroom's slideshow layout parameters (border, background, shadowing, text overlays, etc.). The slideshow layout parameters are rendered correctly--although the text overlay is pixelated in the full-screen PDF, suggesting that the text was rendered at low resolution.

So, there seems to be some kind of display problem with the Slideshow functionality on certain computers. Mine is a MacBook Pro Retina, which has two graphics processors, and perhaps that's the problem.I generally have my MacBook Pro connected to a 27" Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Monitor, which forces the computer to use the Nvidia GeForce GT 750M processor. However, I have tried using the Lightroom Slideshow Module with no external monitor connected to my MacBook Pro Retina, and the black screen problem persists.

I am more than happy to work with Adobe to troubleshoot this issue. I'm happy to provide system logs, examples, whatever might be helpful to get to the bottom of this  issue. In fact, I worked at Adobe many years ago, and I just sent a note to one of my former colleagues who heads up an engineering group there to see if he can find someone if the Lightroom Engineering Group who might be willing to work with me to solve this problem.

If you can be helpful in this regard, please let me know.

Thanks,

Bob Kahn

• 13. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
                                bkahn0206 Level 1

Rikk,

Good idea -- I hadn't tried trashing my Lightroom preference files, so I just now did that....

But, alas, it didn't help.

I had Lightroom preference files going back to the original version of Lightroom, so, after closing the Lightroom application, I dumped all my Lightroom preference files into a folder on my desktop. Then, I restarted my Mac to clear the system cache, and then I opened Lightroom 5.7. It was clearly using a new preference file because it opened full screen,  whereas I had resized the Lightroom window to about 2/3 of my screen width.

I then selected a small test collection of 5 photos and clicked on the Slideshow tab. As happened when I upgraded to Lightroom 5.7 a few days ago, it took 3-4 minutes for the Slideshow module to initialize (spinning beachball). But, I eventually regained control of the interface.

I had a simple layout set up with a gray background and a 2 px border around the photos. I could click the arrow buttons at the base of the main window and cycle through the photos. I made sure that all 5 images in the collection were selected for the slideshow and clicked the Preview button...and the main Lightroom window went black. I then clicked the Play button to play the slideshow full screen, and again, my whole screen went black. During playback, pressing the arrow keys on my keyboard does nothing; likewise the space bar. If I click anywhere on the screen or press the ESC key, the [black] slideshow closes and the Lightroom interface returns.

So, apparently there's something else going on here....

By the way, just for the heck of it, I fired up my old MacBook Pro, which was a 2011 vintage computer on which I have both Lightroom 4.x and Lightroom 5.2 installed. I first opened Lightroom 5.2 on that computer, imported a few photos from my Pictures folder and tried the Slideshow module. Same black screen problem on that computer--black preview and black full screen playback.

Then, I closed Lightroom 5 and opened Lightroom 4.x (I can't remember what version, but it was the last LR 4 available). Once again I imported a few photos from my Pictures folder and then tried the Slideshow module. This time, it worked just fine. The preview played properly in the main Lightroom window, and the full-screen playback worked just fine.

Any other thoughts or suggestions???

BK

• 14. Re: I installed Lightroom 5.7, now slideshow module does not work at all. Anyone else having this problem?  Suggestions on solution.
                                  mbsevans

GOOD OLD ADOBE I CALLED TECH SUPPORT LAST FALL OCTOBER 2015 ABOUT THIS LONG RUNNING TEXT OVERLAY ISSUE. I SPOKE WITH A TECH SUPPORT WOMAN WHO LOGGED INTO MY HP MOBILE WORKSTATION WITH QUADRO K2000M AND PROCEEDED TO SPEND ALMOST AN HOUR REPEATING THIS TEXT OVERLAY ISSUE. SHE SAID SHE WOULD ESCALATE THIS CASE WHEN SHE CONFIRMED THIS IS A SOFTWARE ISSUE AND NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH MY LAPTOP, NOR SHOULD IT BE SINCE 4.4 WORKED JUST FINE IN THE PAST. I HEARD NOTHING SINCE LAST OCTOBER. I CALLED ADOBE TODAY AFTER CONFIRMING THAT THE LATEST VERSION 2015.4 STILL HAS THIS BUG. IM TOLD BY TECH SUPPORT TODAY THAT THERE IS NO RECORD ON MY FILE OF THIS TECH SUPPORT CALL LAST OCTOBER!! ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! AS I WRITE THIS ANOTHER TECH IS REMOTELY CHECKING THIS ISSUE. DOES ANYONE AT ADOBE CARE??????