10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 2:56 PM by station_two

Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)

THowse

Hi,

Brand new to Photoshop (free trial started 2 days ago) and am having significant difficulties with overall program.  One major issue is the ability to open my photos into the Camera Raw program.  One tutorial mentions to right click and convert it to Smart Object in order to launch the program but this does not seem to work for me.  It merely adds a small image into the corner and becomes a "Smart Object Thumbnail".  I don't use Bridge (heck, I don't even know what Bridge is!) and am merely opening up a file into Photoshop directly.

My images are in a raw format, does that make a difference?  Do photos have to be in jpegs to use that program? 

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, not at all. First place a raw file on your Desktop.

Open Photoshop

From the menu: File > Open...

In the Open dialog, choose Desktop on the left and your raw should show up in the files and folders window.

Double-click on that raw file and tell me what happens next.

• 2. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
            Level 5

Photoshop is a professional level application that makes no apologies for its very long and steep learning curve.

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) requires a lot of reading to master.

Raw files should automatically open in ACR when you double-click on them.  ACR can be hosted either by Photoshop or by Adobe Bridge, and the respective application will launch when you double click on the raw file and present you with your file open in ACR.

The purpose of ACR is to convert the raw file into something you can see and use.  Raw files are very, very dark gray-scale images with nothing a human eye can discern as color.

Forget about "Smart Objects" for now, that is something you will only be able to understand or use until you are proficient with Photoshop, many months or a couple of years from now if you are truly dedicated and take a Photoshop course at a community college near you.

You cannot open a raw file in Photoshop directly.  It has to be converted in ACR first.

• 3. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
              Level 5

Opening JPEGs in Adobe Camera Raw is a relatively recent convenience for users who are experienced with ACR.  You're still left with the cr@appy quality of the original, cooked JPEG.

• 4. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
                THowse Level 1

Gener7, It opens in Camera Raw!!! 
                That's magic!

• 5. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
                  Level 5

thowse wrote:

…it opens in Camera Raw!!! 
                  That's magic!

Oy! 

• 6. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
                    THowse Level 1

Station_two - Yes...I'm beginning to gather there's a wee bit of a learning curve!!  I've been going through the tutorials but yes...it's definitely more in-depth than I had realized!  We'll see, I'll give it the ol' college try and see how the 30 days goes!!

• 7. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
                      edwardns

Here are two methods:

1. Let's assume you are on a Windows machine - any version. Right-click any Raw file and choose "Open with". If you do not see Photoshop listed look for an option that let's you browse. Browse to Photoshop and select it.

From now on whenever you double-click a Raw file it will open in ACR.

2. Open Photoshop, click File, Open and browse to any Raw file and open it. It will open in ACR.

In both of the above cases you can adjust the image in ACR then click Open at the bottom to bring the file into Photoshop.

• 8. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
                        gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, Photoshop hosts ACR, but the simplest way to show that to you was to ask you to use File > Open.

Now as for Bridge CC, it's a separate download. It's like the File > Open on steroids.  You really should download it.

It's called "Bridge" because it's a file manager for programs like PS, Illustrator and Indesign...it "Bridges" these programs, so to speak.

You do have a lot of learning, so I'll just keep it short and simple.

Gene

• 9. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
                          Level 5

You have mistakenly addressed your post to me, edwardsn:

Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 2.29.57 PM.png

I see that you just joined the forum today, but, still…

• 10. Re: Opening RAW file into Camera Raw (help please)
                            Level 5

You cannot learn Photoshop from scratch in a forum, question by question.

As I've typed countless times over the years, Photoshop is a professional level application that makes no apologies for its long and steep learning curve.

Your needs far exceed the scope of this forum.

To start learning, take a class in your nearest community college or similar educational institute, watch the Adobe video tutorials on this site, take a subscription to lynda.com, etc.  There are many learning tools out there, just Google "learning Photoshop".

Good luck (and please remember this is a user site. I do not work for Adobe).