3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2014 2:51 AM by cc_merchant

AMD APU for Premiere Pro?

Nautilus26

Heya folks,

I'm mostly doing editing of 1080p videos in Premiere Pro. Using plug-ins like Magic Bullet Looks, Mojo, Universe, Misfire and Neat Video's Reduce Noise. Today I decided to sell my laptop which has following configuration:

i7 3610QM (2.3Ghz base clock, 3.1 turbo clock) 4 CPU/8 threads

nvidia GT650M 2GB

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

And I'm building a new budget desktop rig. 2 reasons. First is the laptop's 15.6 inch screen. It is not suitable for editing purposes and the second is GT650M has very bad gaming performance. I'm a casual gamer and I'd like to play games like Dota2 and Skyrim from time to time. With my new rig, I want both to be able to edit & render videos in Premiere with acceptable speed and have a good graphics & gaming performance.

So I ended up with highest end AMD APU, A10 7850K. It's a quad core CPU @ 3.7Ghz base clock and 4Ghz Turbo. I'll be using 8GB 2400Mhz ram with it. I can't spend much cash for it so buying a desktop class i7 is out of question.

I know that i7 3610QM is a faster CPU but believe the difference between i7 and AMD cpu is negligible. Am I right? If any of you guys used this APU in your systems could you please share your opinions? How worse it is than my i7? Thanks.

• 1. Re: AMD APU for Premiere Pro?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is a mistake, no current AMD CPU has the processing power of Intel chips for Premiere Pro.  They lack certain instruction sets or are a poor implementation of others.

• 2. Re: AMD APU for Premiere Pro?
            Nautilus26 Level 1

A10 7850K is on par with 4th generation i7 processors in terms of instruction sets. On the speed isssue, I can overclock it from 3.7Ghz to 4.5Ghz - 4.6 Ghz but that still probably won't be enough to catch i7 3610QM.

• 3. Re: AMD APU for Premiere Pro?
              cc_merchant Level 4

As a general rule of thumb, AMD CPU's are not worth considering at all, since they suffer severely from the very limited and badly implemented support of SSE 4.x instructions, which are widely used in PR. That makes these processors very slow, even in the 8-core versions. You get what you pay for, and with AMD that holds very much. Even though Adobe claims AMD processors can be used, that is intended more to make PR look attractive, but it really means you can install the program on an AMD machine, however you can't edit effectively with such a CPU. Even the latest octo-core AMD's are significantly slower than middle-of-the-road Intel quad cores. If you have an AMD processor, do not expect to edit comfortably any codec more demanding than DV. All phone or action camera formats are way beyond what an AMD can handle.

AMD processors are not suitable for editing.

From Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?