2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2007 8:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

Split apart a rext block ?

palmtree345
      I'm trying to make a business card and I want to put a word - "consulting" - horizontally in between 3 initials. How do I split apart a text block in Fireworks?

Specifically, in a text block, I type in the 3 letters. I want to split these 3 letters horizontally and then add a word in the middle between them. In Illustrator, I would use "create outlines". In Fireworks, I've tried the Knife tool and "ungroup". When I try to use the Fireworks Knife tool, the tool is grayed out. When I deselect the text block, then the Knife tool is active !!!

Any ideas? Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Split apart a rext block ?
          Level 7
          Type the 3 letters and convert to paths. (Text > Convert to Paths)
          While selected go to Modify > Ungroup.
          Then use the Knife tool to split down the middle. Depending on the font
          and what letters are used you might get some funky results that will
          have to be dealt with.

Having said that, I would approach the task from a different angle:

Type the 3 letters and clone. Move the clone down down until you get the
          separation you need. Then draw a white rectangle (assuming your
          background is white) and position it so that it looks like the letters
          are split in two.

alex

palmtree345 wrote:
          > I'm trying to make a business card and I want to put a word - "consulting" -
          > horizontally in between 3 initials. How do I split apart a text block in
          > Fireworks?
          >
          > Specifically, in a text block, I type in the 3 letters. I want to split these
          > 3 letters horizontally and then add a word in the middle between them. In
          > Illustrator, I would use "create outlines". In Fireworks, I've tried the Knife
          > tool and "ungroup". I prefer to use Fireworks since it is simpler.
          >
          > Any ideas? Thank you.
          >
          • 2. Re: Split apart a rext block ?
            Level 7
            Note: FW is really not designed for printing. You may not be thrilled with
            the quality when all is said and done. Much better to use Illustrator or
            Freehand (if possible)