5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2014 9:14 AM by quiquell

GTX580 - Best price/performance GPU for editing?

Nautilus26

So I just found a used i7 4790K CPU. Looking a cheap GPU for rendering purposes. GTX 580 seemed like a good move. Not crippled in terms of processing power, like the new Kepler and Maxwell GPUs (except Titan). I'm sure it performs much better in Premiere Pro. Am I correct?

• 1. Re: GTX580 - Best price/performance GPU for editing?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

No the new 900 series GPUs and the 700 series GPUs are not crippled. They allowed better performance since the architecture was different. The 780Ti for example performs close to the Titan card. it could not do that if the 780Ti was crippled. It's all raw specs of the cards and the CPU feeding it. This misconception was introduced because many don't understand how GPU acceleration works especially with media content applications. The process starts and ends at the CPU so the load on the GPU at any point in time depends on how well the CPU can feed that GPU to 100% load and whether you have enough ram to allow the amount of data required to do so. The GPU acceleration is a pipeline and I can assure you that until the new Haswell E 5960X, no single CPU could push a Titan card to it's limit and allot of that has to do with the CPU and even more so the DDR4 ram.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: GTX580 - Best price/performance GPU for editing?
            Nautilus26 Level 1

All the benchmarks show that double precision floating point calculations on newer high-end nvidia GPUs are much behind the GTX 580 and/or mid-range AMD GPUs. The 680 and 780 series have very crippled double precision performance, like the rest of the Kepler  and Maxwell GeForce family.  The Titan and Quadro lineup aren't.

Nvidia cripples GPGPU in Geforce GTX 680- The Inquirer

• 3. Re: GTX580 - Best price/performance GPU for editing?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Those benchmarks have nothing to do with GPU acceleration performance for media content applications. Double Precision is rarely used in the current media applications and shows no impact at all right now with them. If your building a system for what uses that specifically then get a Titan card. If your building it for current GPU acceleration and media content applications such as Adobe or Davinci then don't bother. A 780Ti card will far outperform the 580GTX in both Adobe and Davinci so the double precision gains you nothing and you lose performance with the 580GTX. BTW if double precision was used much at all the Quadro cards might actually show some advantage for GPU acceleration even though they have lower end GPU's on all but the K6000. They actually show far lower performance on average especially when compared to 780Ti card for example with the 700 series cards. That doesn't even get into the fact the AMD cards show half the performance with the current Open CL implementation. Obviously the double precision is not helping there either.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: GTX580 - Best price/performance GPU for editing?
                Nautilus26 Level 1

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

• 5. Re: GTX580 - Best price/performance GPU for editing?
                  quiquell

ECBowen Then, which is better for PPCC 2014 GTX 9xx (970) series or a 780ti? I'm building a new rig with x99 mobo, intel i7 5820k, etc, but I'm very confused because the lose of CUDA cores in 9xx series. Allways I read about the importance of CUDA cores for Premiere Pro.

Thanks,