3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2014 1:01 PM by dj_paige

Will a System Restore cause me to loose edits

drhill37

I've edited a lot of my landscape photos in lightroom and I'm having computer issues.

The tech wants me to do a system restore and I'm worried I'll loose all my edits.

Is there anyway to prevent loosing the edits for when I re install lightroom?

Other advice?

• 1. Re: Will a System Restore cause me to loose edits
          dj_paige Level 9

This will not happen. A system restore does not affect your data, whether it is Lightroom or some other program (Word, Excel).

Now just to be 100% clear, if the tech want to wipe your hard drive and reinstall your operating system, that's different ... you don't want to do that without first making backups of all of your data.

Which brings up the question ... do you have backups of all of your photos and your catalog file? Sounds like you don't, otherwise you wouldn't be worried right now. In my opinion, making these backups on a regular and automated basis is MANDATORY, and you need to begin doing this, as soon as this system restore problem is resolved, and no excuses.

• 2. Re: Will a System Restore cause me to loose edits
            drhill37 Level 1

II'm sorry to sound like an idiot but can you tell me more about the catalog file? And how I can utilize that so my edits aren't lost in unexported files.

i Have everything backed up with backblaze online. I just don't know what happens or how it works with all the  raw files where I've done edits and color corrections on.

And I misspoke, they want to do a wipe to a factory reset, not just a simple system restore.

• 3. Re: Will a System Restore cause me to loose edits
              dj_paige Level 9

You need to have a backup of the catalog file (name ends with .LRCAT) and all your photos. Please check and make sure you have these backups.

Make a note of the ORIGINAL (not backup) location of each of these.

Then, after they re-install your operating system, copy the backups to the EXACT SAME LOCATION. Then start Lightroom normally.