16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2014 7:42 PM by areohbee

Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?

FKlusmann Level 1

Assume that I have edited a photo and placed it in a collection, then later want use the photo in a different collection. Is there a way to "lock" or protect the first edit so that I don't lose the first collection's version of edits?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

No...but you can use a Virtual Copy in the new collection so changes made won't impact your original image.

• 2. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
            John Blaustein Level 4

Jeff's suggestion is probably the best approach, but you can also take a Snapshot in Develop Mode so that you can always return to a given edit.

John

• 3. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
              FKlusmann Level 1

Thanks Jeff.  That is what I do when I realize that the photo is used in the first set. Can you suggest how to at least "mark as used" a photo to protect me from myself?

• 4. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Perhaps a color label?

• 5. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                  FKlusmann Level 1

Thank you John. I'v some learning to do. I did not understand that about Snapshot.

• 6. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                    John Blaustein Level 4

When you create a Snapshot, you can name it and include a note to yourself.  Also, when you make a Virtual Copy, you can use the Copy Name field (Library Module > Metadata > Copy Name) to identify the version and edit.  You will see that the Virtual Copy uses the Copy Name rather than the file name to ID the image.

John

• 7. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

If the simple techniques above aren't enough, you might also take a look at the ChangeManager and PhotoSafe plugins.

• 8. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                        John Blaustein Level 4

Here is a cool LR plug-in that will allow you to keep extensive notes about an image:

Big Note – Lightroom Solutions – John Beardsworth

I have not used this, but it sure looks handy. John is a regular here and has a great LR HTML web gallery that he gives away on his site, so I'd trust that this plug-in works well.

John

• 9. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                          FKlusmann Level 1

Thanks Jim.

As a test I just flagged a photo in a collection as "yellow" and see that it and its virtual copy both are flagged and show the background. So yes, that does work. Can a flag be set by any of the "I'm finished" actions (like export, print, book, etc)? I have not found how to create a preset to do this. Thanks.

• 10. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                            FKlusmann Level 1

Thank you John.

I had looked at Jeffrey Friedl's PhotoSafe and understand that it will prevent deleting a photo. That did not address my problem. Rob Cole's ChangeManager  may be just what I need.  I am going to try that.

• 11. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                              FKlusmann Level 1

Thank you John.

I looked at (and downloaded) BigNote. While I am unsure that it will help me in this challenge, it may be useful. I have it on hand thanks to you.

• 12. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                                FKlusmann Level 1

Thank you John.

You wrote, and my remarks are proceeded with "-->":

"When you create a Snapshot, you can name it ..." --> yes.

"and include a note to yourself." --> I do not see how to do this.

"Also, when you make a Virtual Copy, you can use the Copy Name field (Library Module > Metadata > Copy Name)" --> I don't see this (LR5, Win-7). I can copy metadata but I don't see the edit information.

The only way I see the Snapshot is from the Develop Module.

I must be doing something wrong.

Thank you.

• 13. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                                  John Blaustein Level 4

You are welcome.

"and include a note to yourself." --> I do not see how to do this.

I just meant that when you name the Snapshot you can make the name pretty long and use those characters to create a note to yourself.

"Also, when you make a Virtual Copy, you can use the Copy Name field (Library Module > Metadata > Copy Name)" --> I don't see this (LR5, Win-7). I can copy metadata but I don't see the edit information.

The only way I see the Snapshot is from the Develop Module.

Hmmm..... let's see..... If you are in the Library Module and you create a Virtual Copy, and you then select that Virtual Copy, look in the Metadata panel on the right.  The second field from the top is Copy Name.  The default name is Copy 1, but you can change that to something more useful.

A Snapshot and a Virtual Copy aren't the same thing, but can be used similarly.  If you make a Virtual Copy, it's like you then have two separate files and you work on them separately.  A Snapshot just saves the current state right within the main image (not a copy).  You can have multiple Snapshots for any given image.  And, you can have multiple Virtual Copies as well.

As I now re-read your original question, I think Jeff Schewe's suggestion of using a Virtual Copy will work best for your purposes.  I mentioned Snaphots because we all work differently and it is worth knowing all of the great capabilities that LR has to offer.  It might not be a bad idea to combine both approaches!  Make yourself a Virtual Copy, but then add a Snapshot in the original copy and name it something like "Perfect, don't touch."  Do further work on the Virtual Copy.  By the way, making Virtual Copies does NOT copy your original image file.  The original file never gets touched by LR.  All LR does is save a whole lot of instructions.  (That's an understatement, to say the least, but it's important to understand that your original file is never touched.)

Hope this helps.

John

• 14. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                                    FKlusmann Level 1

Thanks again John!

"Metadata panel on the right." --> I see it now (Right side, not Top side).

"The second field ... is Copy Name ...you can change that to something more useful." --> Yes Sir!

"The original file never gets touched by LR" --> This is why I invested in the program! I think of a "Snapshot" as a Check-Point (Name or REM) in a set of instructions that can be referred to and "Virtual Copies" as the 2-nd (or n-th) copy of these instructions.

I'll "play" with edits until I like something, take a "Point-A Snapshot", then later try something else knowing that I can come back and reset to "Point-A" if I don't like it. Most of these will never leave my computer.

Now for what pained me; a scanned photo of my granddaughter all prettied up and exported, burned to DVD's as part of a family function, a year later I (not yet smart enough to have re-named it, in fact thinking that it should not have been renamed) re-edited and re-used the photo in her graduation book.

When I looked for the photo for her wedding album I find myself snookered. Thus my original question here:

How can I protect myself from myself?

Here is where I am at:

(1) When "published" (including ALL exports, etc.) from Lightroom I am setting "yellow", making a virtual copy and renaming to show to whom and how.

(2) I will start using Rob Cole's ChangeManager to "Lock" the photo.

I hope this will help protect myself from myself.

Can this (set color or call "Lock") be done via a preset?

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me protect myself from myself.

-- Fred

• 15. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                                      FKlusmann Level 1

I am reposting this from #14 and will mark this as "Correct Answer"

Thank you Jeff Schewe, John Blaustein, JimHess, John R. Ellis and others for helping me. Here is my answer for protect myself from myself.

(1) When "published" (including ALL exports, etc.) from Lightroom I am setting "yellow", making a virtual copy and renaming to show to whom and how.

(2) I will start using Rob Cole's ChangeManager to "Lock" the photo. (A note here: Mr. Cole has answered all of my several questions in an amazingly fast and clearly understandable reply. Thank you Rob!)

Hopefully I will find a way to use a preset to automate any output function to set the color and lock the photo for me......

Again, Thank you all.

• 16. Re: Can I protect an edited photo from more edits?
                                        areohbee Level 5

Thanks Fred,

I disallow publishing of any unlocked photo (details available upon request), and when locking auto-create a snapshot and auto-apply a label. Thus, there is no need to make a virtual copy (since there is a snapshot), nor is there any need to apply a label when publishing (unless you want the label to distinguish "locked n' published" from "just locked"). There are different ways to accomplish things, but that's what I do.

Cheers to all, and thanks again..

Rob