6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 6:05 AM by JimHess

How to make Lightroom reflect changes made in Finder?

ailie Level 1

I'm new to Lightroom so am still getting used to the interface.

I have a video (mp4) in one of my Lightroom folders and I wanted to rotate it because it was sideways, so I found the file in Finder, opened it in Quicktime Pro, rotated it and saved the change. But when I view the video in Lightroom it is still sideways. Why doesn't Lightroom reflect the change? Is it not reading the video file when it plays it?

Even more generally, if I move a photo from one folder into another in Finder, this change is also not reflected in Lightroom. Is there a way I can have it "refresh" and see these changes?

• 1. Re: How to make Lightroom reflect changes made in Finder?
          elie-d Level 4

In the Library grid view the thumbnail  of the moved photo will have an exclamation point icon on it; click on it and a window asking if you want to re-establish contact by locating the photo will open. Click on "Locate" and a navigation box will open. Go to wherever it is that you moved the photo to and select it. If you moved several photos, check the "Find nearby missing photos" box.

• 2. Re: How to make Lightroom reflect changes made in Finder?
            dj_paige Level 9

Even more generally, if I move a photo from one folder into another in Finder, this change is also not reflected in Lightroom. Is there a way I can have it "refresh" and see these changes?

Lightroom was not designed to do this. You can manually help lightroom find these moved files, but there is no automatic function to do so.

Therefore, stop making changes in the Finder. If you need to move photos, you do this entirely in Lightroom. Or better yet, develop a workflow that and doesn't require moving photos from one place to another (which saves you time). But in general, if you want a photo to wind up in folder Z, why don't you just put it in folder Z straight out of the camera instead of putting it in folder A first and later moving it to folder Z?

• 3. Re: How to make Lightroom reflect changes made in Finder?
              ailie Level 1

What about if I just modify the file though? No exclamation mark shows up or anything.

It is still playing the old version of this movie, even though I've rotated it and saved that, so I don't even know where it would be reading the un-rotated version from...

• 4. Re: How to make Lightroom reflect changes made in Finder?
                ailie Level 1

I see your point, I shouldn't be moving the files and will try to mainly do this only in Lightroom. I'm confused though because if I do move something in the Finder, Lightroom thinks it's still in its original location. I don't see an exclamation mark or anything. Shouldn't Lightroom at least be aware that the file is no longer where it thinks it is?

• 5. Re: How to make Lightroom reflect changes made in Finder?
                  dj_paige Level 9

Yes Lightroom should know when a file has been moved and display an icon to indicate that fact.

You didn't state your version of Lightroom, so the icon could be either a question mark or exclamation point.

• 6. Re: How to make Lightroom reflect changes made in Finder?
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to understand that the import process in Lightroom allows you to copy files from a camera card to the computer. But the import process also tells Lightroom where those images are stored on your computer. It's a pointer that Lightroom uses to be able to give you access to that image. Your image isn't "in" Lightroom, it is in the folder on your hard drive. And if you move that image using finder then Lightroom no longer knows where it is located.