10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 8:27 PM by A.T. Romano

How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements

kdjeffs

I have adobe premiere elements 10.  I have been trying burn my project to blu ray.  My project is approximately 60 minutes.  When I enter the menu to burn it to a blu ray disc, at the bottom it has the box to check for quality it has a box that says "Fit Contents to available space."  Unlike the option to burn a DVD menu, there is no slider to adjust between most video or highest quality.  If I don't select that option it says the space required is 9.07 GB with a bitrate of 20.19MBS.  If I select it says the space required is 10.78 GB with a bitrate of 24MBS.  After burning the blu ray with the highest quality it allows me to select, the blu ray looks like crap.  It is no better than when I burned DVD using my old miniDV camcorder.  The quality should be much better since I am capturing video with a HD camcorder set to record 1920x1080 at 60 fps.    I tried exporting the project to my hard drive where I was allowed to go in an manually adjust the settings.  By doing this I was able to get a video that was nearly as good as the raw video file, however, it lost the menus.    So obviously, Premiere Elements can export video in HD quality.  However, when I burn to blu ray I do not get HD quality.  Is there away to adjust the blu ray output quality?

• 1. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

kdjeffs

Premiere Elements 10 on what computer operating system with what resources? What is the video card/graphics card that your computer uses?

Although you may have a choice of burn to disc presets, the user cannot adjust the settings within the preset.

As for the Blu-ray burn dialog's Quality area readings for space required and bitrate. If your Space Required reads 23 GB or less,

you DO NOT have a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space. Otherwise, the odds are that your burn to disc will error out, probably at the end of the burn phase. Please consider

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-blu-ray-burn-dialog-fit-content-to.html

and work as suggested.

If you are not getting an excellent Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, then we need to explore other factors...

a. What project preset did you set for the project? Since there is no 1080p60 project preset in version 10, are you using

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

or something else?

b. What are the properties of your source media (from what you have written - 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second)?

c. When you get to Share/Disc/Blu-ray, what are you selecting as the preset, H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby or something else?

Just in case note - with that preset, the end product is going to be 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, not 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive

frames per second.

In what specific ways is your Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc unacceptable?

ATR

• 2. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
            kdjeffs Level 1

I am running Windows 7.  The graphics card is the Intel HD Graphics 3000 built into the i7-2600k CPU.  I am not getting a disc error.  The project burns to blu ray.  The problem is the resulting quality of the disc. 

a. project preset.  I assume you mean the general project settings.  It is set at DV NTS @ 29.97 fps which it doesnt allow me to change.  It has the 30fps drop-frame timecode selected.

b.the source media is 1920x1080 @ 60fps.

c. When I share the project i have used both  both H.264 1440.1080i NTSC Dolby and H.264 1920.1080i NTSC.

The problem is that when I go to share the blu ray it says that the space required is 10GB (using fit contents to availabe space) or 9GB (not using fit contents to available space).  This seems small considering I am burning 60 minutes of 1920x1080 video. When I burn the blu ray the quality of the blu ray is somewhat blurry and the lines are not clean.  It resembles the quality I have gotten from burning to DVD.  However, when I shared the blu ray using the share to computer I option, using high quality settings the file size was 16GB which seems more appropriate considering the source media.

I am just looking to see if there is a setting that I need to adjust to get better quality.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 3. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
              whsprague Level 4

I started learning video with PrE9.  I upgraded to 10 and now am using 11.  My first camcorder was "HD" and had a special button for 1920x1080p60.  That setting was considered "outside" the specifications of AVCHD.  Then came AVCHD 2.0 that did include the p60. 

PrE version 9 and 10 had to be "tricked" into 60p processing.  Before Mr. Romano ("ATR") became active here I had several discussions with active posters about making PrE9 and 10 work with AVCHD 2.0 and 1920x1080p60.  The answer was routinely that "it is not supported" and "shoot with different settings".

The sole reason I upgraded to PrE11 was to get "full AVCHD 2.0" support.  (I skipped the upgrade to 12 and am considering the upgrade to 13 for "4K" functions.)

It is an unfortunate reality that cameras move forward a little faster than software.  The option to set up a project for 1920x1080p60 did not come until version 11.  Additionally, Adobe made the project setting automatic so when you slide your first clip to the timeline, the project setting is made for you.

You may never get your four year old software to work well with your footage.  But, as I recall, the "trick" for me was to force a project preset at the beginning to match the frame rate, not the pixel dimensions. 

Good luck, but you may need new software!

• 4. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kevin

Thank you for the reply.

Continuing from your post numbered 2 in this thread....

Video 1920 x 1080p60 can be imported, edited, and exported very successfully using Premiere Elements 10 Windows 64 bit. I have been there and done that.

Project settings are important. And, from what you wrote, you may not have made the appropriate choices along the way. Please let us explore

those possibilities.

1. Project Preset. You should not be setting "DV NTSC 29.97" (standard or widescreen) for your project preset. If NTSC DV Standard is your project preset, then you are not stopping to set the project preset to match the properties of your source media. Sounds like you might be accepting the program's default NTSC DV Standard 4:3

If you footage is 1920 x 1080p60, you set the project preset in the New Project dialog to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

There is no 1080p60 project preset in version 10, but this 1080p30 project preset with serve the purpose unless you are doing frame by frame by frame editing at the Timeline level. You will see a red line over the Timeline content that is dragged to the Timeline. Render the Timeline if necessary. The line is red because the frame rate of the project preset is 29.97 and not 59.94 (60). The key role of the project preset here is to direct the program to establish the correct (1920 x 1080) space in the Edit area monitor for editing purposes. It also directs the program as to what set of disc menus to offer you in the disc menus section of the program (s, w, or hd).

Note: In setting the project preset, there is no rationale with matching the frame rate with the project preset instead of the pixel dimensions with the project preset.

2. If you are burning this Timeline to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, then

Disc

Blu-ray

with preset H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

You do not make the choice of the preset = H.264 1440 x 1080i NTSC Dolby.

Both those presets give the 1920 x 1080 16:9. The 1440 x 1080i choice depends on a 16:9 flag to stretch the video to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding. The 1920 x 1080i choice is already 16:9 and does not need any flag stretching. In selecting the latter, you eliminate any problems in player flag recognition.

The automatic setting of the project preset by the program as seen in versions 11, 12, or 13 is not always an advantage. And, often manually setting of the project preset before import of the media needs to be done.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Please review and consider. Let us explore and rule in or out the above considerations to get to the cause of your problem.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On for Kevin.....Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

• 5. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
                  whsprague Level 4

There really isn't any point in trying to be involved in this forum.   ATR owns it.  I should remember to not interfere.  I will try.

• 6. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

kdjeffs

Continuing from my post numbered 4 in your thread....

The concept of Premiere Elements 10 not supporting 1080p60 was interesting. So, I decided to explore that completely. In the course of doing

that I put my findings into a blog titled "PE10: AVCHD 1080p60 Project Preset". Please review and consider.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 10: AVCHD 1080p60 Project Preset

In this work, I have

• created a AVCHD 1080p60 project preset for use in Premiere Elements 10
                    • imported a 1080p60 video source into a project with the Premiere Elements 10 project preset = to the newly created 1080p60 project preset
                    • successfully edited the Premiere Elements 10 1080p60 Timeline video
                    • successfully exported the 1080p60 Timeline content to a AVCHD.mp4 (1080p60) file which has excellent computer playback.

Please see my Commentary at the end of the blog post on doing the Premiere Elements 10 1080p60 work with and without a special preset as the well as the details of the how to if you really want a 1080p60 project preset for Premiere Elements 10.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 7. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
                      kdjeffs Level 1

You were right, I was not changing my presets from the default. To be honest, I did not realize that I needed to change the project presents and just assumed that it was dealt with on the back end.  (In fact I did not notice that I could change presets). Because I had the presets wrong and can't change them mid project, I am currently in the process of re-editing the project.  I have noticed a difference even in the editing just by changing the presets.  Specifically, the video that shows in the preview screen is much better quality.  I had always assumed that the preview video was lower quality for editing purposes.  I am hopeful that this means when I burn the final video it will be better quality as well.  I will update you when it is completed.

With that in mind.  Is there anyway to change presets in the middle of editing a project or is that something that must be handled at the beginning of a new project?  Also, I reviewed your blog on customizing a AVHCD 1080p60 Project Present.  In your blog it appears that you use that present to share to a computer file.  Can it be used to burn an AVHCD to a DVD and get the 60fps or does burn at the 29.97fps rate?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 8. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Kevin

Thanks for the reply and the additional background information.

The Adobe party line is that you cannot change a Premiere Elements project preset once it has been established in the New Project dialog. But, I have written about how that can be done under certain circumstances. But often it is easier to start a new project rather than edit the Notepad document for the saved closed project. Please see

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html

With the AVCHD 1080p60 project preset created, that enabled me to setup the project optimally for editing 1080p60 in the Edit area monitor.

When it gets to the export side of things, that is another matter, with encoding presets. When the export is to file, there are

many opportunities to customize the export preset. But, when it comes to burn to disc, then there is no customizing of the preset. You

may have preset choices, but you cannot customize within the preset.

In Premiere Elements 10, the "burn to" presets are confined to those with interlaced frame rate 29.97 (NTSC) or 25 (PAL). You are not

going to get a 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second burn to disc.

If you need clarification or further details, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
                          kdjeffs Level 1

I finished the project and burned it to blu ray.  The quality was significantly better.  It appears that changing the project presents resolved the issue.  I assume that if I upgraded to a program that allowed exporting to blu ray at 60fps it would be better, but for now this is sufficient.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

• 10. Re: How to improve blu ray export on premiere elements
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Kevin

Great news. Great job.

But, consider

I assume that if I upgraded to a program that allowed exporting to blu ray at 60fps

You are not going to get a burn to disc 60 fps for Blu-ray or any other format using Premiere Elements.

Please review what I wrote in post 8 of your thread...essentials....

Import/Edit Side of Things....

The project preset AVCHD 1080p60 allows you to set up the project in a space in the Edit area monitor that is appropriate for AVCHD 1080p60.

Export Side of Things...

a. Export to file with export presets that you can customize in example given to 1080p60

and

b. Burn to disc with burn to presets that cannot be customized....no 60 fps frame rate in any.

Please let us know if you are OK with the above information.

We are very pleased with your results.

ATR