3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2014 5:05 PM by R Neil Haugen

Working with Canon XF files. Do they work nativley with PP6 or PPCC at all?

From FCP

I want to start using PP6 - PPCC for all of my work going forward. I mostly with canon XF files on a mac book pro. Having done a number of tests it seems PP just doesn't work with them at all Ive tried importing via prelude, directly and  via Canon XF utility. I have tried this in a number of configurations.

It  doesn't allow you to view more then 30 seconds of footage in the browser. So whats the problem,  a bug? Is there a fix?

Is it worth changing over ? withthe hassel of transcodes its so much less attractive.

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Working with Canon XF files. Do they work nativley with PP6 or PPCC at all?
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Many people are working heavily with the MXF out of Canon rigs and doing fine. Some are having issues. A few seem to be dead in the water with that codec/wrapper. So I'd guess it's a combination of hardware & software configurations & interactions that Adobe hasn't completely nailed down. So ... you might want to snoop around here, though do remember, the ones who post most often and most ... decidedly ... will be those with problems, and those who are just working away ... don't post a lot.

Still, the more of you with those cams & footage posting here, the more they'll learn about the issues there and the better they'll be able to get this handled.

I'd recommend posting your entire hardware/software/processing info here ...

-OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM specific to the dot and with video driver listed also.

-Disc layout of programs, cache, projects, & footage ... and connections with any externals.

-ALL programs & plugins within those programs that touch the files, any effects. (Yea, I realize when you can't go more than 30 seconds "effects" are pretty nil ... )

-Camera/s used & original codecs/wrappers, frame rates & size.

All this can be of use to puzzling out what's going on. For some, just moving forward OR backwards in video driver has fixed it. For others something else has worked. And a certain number are simply ... frustrated.

Neil

• 2. Re: Working with Canon XF files. Do they work nativley with PP6 or PPCC at all?
            From FCP Level 1

Thanks Neil, I suppose I had hoped for a quick fix. As you say there just isn't one. I just find it incredible that something that would seem so fundamental would be such a problem.

I'll take your advice and put it all in the fouums and see where it takes me.

Thanks again Armand

• 3. Re: Working with Canon XF files. Do they work nativley with PP6 or PPCC at all?
              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Modern video programs are complex enough ... these Adobe ones add to that by trying their darndest to be able to work together on the same 'project' ... from PrPro to SpeedGrade to AfterEffects and Audition. Now, throw in the incredible variety of "capture" equipment, codecs & wrappers. Stir in completely differently coded operating systems, CPU/GPU, and other hardware concerns. What you've got is an amazing-that-anything-works result.

Adobe shoots far higher in this than anyone ... because of the intent to provide seamless forth & back, which no one else has. Some others stick the landing better on some of the details within a program, BUT ... going between NLE, grading, Fx, and sound involves completely different exports.

Pick your poison, so to speak. And as I noted, many Canon users or editors/colorists working with the output of same are doing fine. Some needed just a bit of help to get it going. I hope you'll be in that group.

Neil