16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 4:22 PM by A.T. Romano

Latest update not working on Mac

Speakerguru

I have just updated my Mac to Premiere Elements latest version just released. When I import any kind of video it will not play properly. It flickers between color and black and white. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
          A.T. Romano Level 7

speakerguru

Premiere Elements 13 on what Mac operating system?

I am strictly and Elements Windows user. However....

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? I ask since I have seen online articles like the following

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203787

Seems to lots going on with Apple and problematic video cards/graphics cards.

Not to take anything for granted, please give us some kind of idea what "any kind of video" actually is and its properties.

What happens if you import some jpg photos? Same thing?

Have you worked with any other version of Premiere Elements on this same Mac computer?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
            Speakerguru Level 1

Thanks for your response, I am using a recent IMAC and the video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

I used the Premiere Elements 13 version before the current update and it worked perfectly. At this stage I have not tried importing photos only video. Unless I can get the video working the software is useless. It all works OK in Final Cut pro but Elements is what I want to use.

• 3. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Speakerguru

Thanks for the reply.

I understand your priority with regard to video. But, knowing whether or not jpg stills do or do not have problems with import would be a good troubleshooting aid.

My first impression based on your initial description suggest to me a video card issue. But, that would have been easy confirmed/supported or refuted by the jpg results.

Have you explored with Apple or NVIDIA the issues related to the video card/graphics card?

Looking forward to learning of your progress.

ATR

• 4. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                Speakerguru Level 1

I have tried jpeg and raw imports, that is all fine. The issue is frustrating as video all works fine with Final Cut Pro and with Iphoto. It does NOT work with the latest update to Premiere elements 13. The last update of 13 worked perfectly so I suggest it is the software. Adobe do not care and they have not responded to my request for help. Typical US based business these days.

• 5. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Speakerguru

Thanks for the follow up.

Let me ask you this to make sure that we did not get out of sync along the line.

You wrote

The last update of 13 worked perfectly

To what version of Premiere Elements are you referring to? I ask since Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and Premiere Elements 13 are standalone programs, and there is no update (yet) for Premiere Elements 13.

When you wrote that this problem of

It flickers between color and black and white

and with import of any kind of video, could you give me examples of the video formats including file extensions that you have actually looked at with Premiere Elements 13 in your computer environment.

Since we are user to user and not Adobe, we cannot offer remote control troubleshooting of your issue. Adobe can if it feels that it is indicated. Have you used the following route to get to Adobe via its Chat Panel...

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Adobe ID, Signing In

Adobe ID, Sign In, Account Help

Chat Panel

If the link does not hold its set, then you will need to navigate to the Chat Panel using the above titles as guides..

The path is not ideal but it does take you to a visible Chat Panel who representative hopefully will answer your questions or direct you

to a department which can.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 6. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                    Speakerguru Level 1

Hi there, I really do appreciate your concern. There was indeed an update for premiere elements 13 from one 13 version to the next. It is only since this update I have had the problem. The video imported is mp4 from a Sony A3s It all worked fine with the first version of Elements 13

• 7. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Speakerguru

Thanks for the reply.

There definitely was no update to Premiere Elements 13 Windows or Mac, that is, update related to improving the performance or correcting some aspect of the original release of 13.

Is there any possibility that you are referring to the tryout of Premiere Elements 13 and then after that the purchased Premiere Elements 13?

Or, when you updated Premiere Elements 13, was it a Camera Raw update? Camera Raw 8.6 probably came with your Premiere Elements 13. Recently Camera Raw 8.7 as update was available via the Help Menu/Update.

If not, and you are actually dealing with an update to the original Premiere Elements 13 released September 24, 2014, from where did you obtain

this update?

Since these are .mp4 files, is there any chance that you do not have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the same computer with the program that you are now trying to use with your .mp4 files.

Please consider and then we can see if we can find the key to the solution.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                        Speakerguru Level 1

I bought Premiere Elements from the Australian site. When I opened it to use last week it said there was an update and did I want to install. I said yes and have had the problem ever since. It was the update that caused the problem and I have no idea what to do about it as I cannot use it now. If you wish I can upload a little video to you tube so you can see the problem.

• 9. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Speakerguru

Consider the following to see if you can get back the performance that you lost in whatever that update was. I suspect it was the Camera Raw update from 8.6 to 8.7, but that should not have caused the problems that you are having now.

Download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 13 Mac from the following web site. And, during installation of it, insert your purchased serial number into it. Do not update anything if asked. And, when and if you do update, double check what the update is. There should be nothing more than the Camera Raw update from 8.6 to 8.7 for Premiere Elements 13 at this time.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-13-direct-download-links-premiere.html

The key to success with the above is to read and carry out carefully the "Note: Very Important Instructions" section of the web page. If not, you will run into an Access Denied message.

Please review and consider the above and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                            Speakerguru Level 1

Thanks a lot, I will give it a go tomorrow as I am on my way out. However I uploaded a test to show what is happening here:

http://youtu.be/WqgSPiYgVAQ

I will delete it after you let me know you have seen it.

Steve

• 11. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Speakerguru

I have just watched your YouTube video which demo'd your Premiere Elements 13 Mac issue. I have been having Internet problems with my computer, but I believe what I viewed was related to your video. Really bad looking video with black patches presenting and painting various portions of the frame's image.

Please confirm...do you see that issue before and after export or just after export?

Premiere Elements 13 has a new preference which relates to the use of the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher video card/graphics card.

Before you try the new source of installation files, please give a try to working with the project with and without that preference disabled.

Edit Menu/Preferences/General and then look for the preference there related to the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                                Speakerguru Level 1

Hi again,

Well I am now really confused and it is possible the problem may in fact be with the video footage itself although it is perfect in Imovie and perfect in Final Cut Pro on the Mac. However I took other video clips on the same day on the same card and that video is fine in Elements.

Maybe it is possible the original footage is the culprit. If it is I wonder why it works on those Mac only programs? I reinstalled as you suggested I have not included the RAW update.

However I can find nothing in the preferences anywhere that relate to a video card. Maybe the Mac version is different than windows?

Steve

• 13. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Worth the time to take the problem videos into HandBrake and covert them to H.264.mp4 and then try to import then into Premiere Elements Mac?

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Your report of other files in that same batch being OK is interesting and does suggest file corruption - but how and why under the circumstances?

In the Premiere Elements 13 preferences, do you see option like "Default Scale to Frame Size"? If you do, then you are in the right place to find that

Intel HD Graphics 2000 or Higher preference if it does exist in Premiere Elements 13 Mac.

Premiere Elements Windows and Mac are much alike, but there are some differences. Usually the Mac user is on the short end, facing several Windows Only features. We need to find a Premiere Elements 13 Mac user who is willing to share the information on those preferences.

More later.

ATR

• 14. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                                    Speakerguru Level 1

Thanks so much. I will give all this a go. People like you make life worth living...

• 15. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                                      Speakerguru Level 1

I have tried what you suggested by converting video with Handbrake but the same problem exists. This baffles me as it works fine with Imovie and Final Cut Pro. Really frustrating.

• 16. Re: Latest update not working on Mac
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Speakerguru

Just had a thought. Probably not the case, but... is there any chance that you are applying Videomerge to this video via a Yes/No pop up when the video is first dragged to

the Timeline?

ATR