5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 7:31 AM by john beardsworth

Adding notes to photos

ironchef_marc Level 1

I would like to add editing notes to photos. Namely I am doing comparison test in retouching using different approaches and technique. I would like to save the process I used and be able to quickly see it when I look at the photo. I have tried the "Large caption" field but not sure why when I change the field on subsequent virtual copies it stays blank and only update the original file. I'm sure there's got to be a way to do this in LR but can't figure out how.

• 1. Re: Adding notes to photos
          Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Lr doesn't support it directly but you can use a plugin. Try this one from John Beardsworth Big note – John Beardsworth

• 2. Re: Adding notes to photos
            ironchef_marc Level 1

Wonderful thank you!

• 3. Re: Adding notes to photos
              areohbee Level 5

Or just choose EXIF metadata viewing preset (or EXIF and IPTC) and enter notes into the User Comment field.

What's wrong with that?

I'll tell you what - the metadata may get included in exported files (depends on settings), whereas custom metadata (like from BigNote) is not (never is). Maybe that's a problem, and maybe it's not, but you can use Metadata Wrangler (plugin by Jeffrey Friedl) to exclude it, if desired..

PS - if you want to make the user comment (or any other) field bigger in metadata viewing preset, it's easy to do using Jeffrey Friedl's Metadata Viewing Preset Editor plugin (or just edit Metadata Field Lists with a text editor (details upon request).

Rob

• 4. Re: Adding notes to photos
                photoshack

Hi there; I want to pass a dozen images to a retoucher with all the retouch instructions included with each image.  Ideally, there would be either embedded instructions with iptc or exif and possibly even an exported text file matching the file name kind of thing.   The idea is a zipped up folder of images would be self-explanatory to a retoucher downloading them.   Would using the User Comment field work for at least the exif?

• 5. Re: Adding notes to photos
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

photoshack wrote:

Hi there; I want to pass a dozen images to a retoucher with all the retouch instructions included with each image.  Ideally, there would be either embedded instructions with iptc or exif and possibly even an exported text file matching the file name kind of thing.   The idea is a zipped up folder of images would be self-explanatory to a retoucher downloading them.   Would using the User Comment field work for at least the exif?

Use the Instructions IPTC field.