7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2014 12:52 PM by 5design5

can't open indesign 6

5design5 Level 1

app hangs on opening. i've thrown away prefs by holding cmd, alt, ctrl, shift  when opening but no joy. thank

• 1. Re: can't open indesign 6
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did it ever work?

OS? Was it a clean install or upgrade?

• 2. Re: can't open indesign 6
            5design5 Level 1

hello and thanks for the help

nope, didn't help. basically i've thrown away the prefs then reopened. just hangs on opening. i've thrown and reinstalled fontexplorer plugin and nothing. i've tried to open without fontx opening and no go either. i'm beginning to think that maybe reinstalling from cd is the only answer although if there is another way...

thanks again

• 3. Re: can't open indesign 6

You haven't answered the questions I asked.

• 4. Re: can't open indesign 6
                5design5 Level 1

apologies in my haste i didn't give you operating system...osx 10.9.5 imac i7 last update was to mavericks ages ago without any probs, up to a couple of hours ago. out of the blue, computer didn't freeze or anything. when i said i'd thrown away the prefs i've done it again manually as well as by keyboard command

• 5. Re: can't open indesign 6

So ID was working up until a few hours ago? Did it crash with any files open? What changed in the last day?

• 6. Re: can't open indesign 6
                    5design5 Level 1

it might as well have been because it’s stopped raining outdoors for all i can see a reason of it crashing

i was working on about 3 docs, then created a new one which had elements from the others. saved docs and closed them, went off for a break, came back and on reopening, nothing

i’ve uninstalled indesign and reinstalling from original disc at the moment so will let you know if it’s that. only thing i could think of was something to do with the fontxplorer plugin because a while into working, fx came up with an update option. i ignored then updated a bit later. can’t remember if that was the actual cause though. in my history, the one thing that is always sure to cause probs are fonts vs design programmes (id + quark)

i’ll let you know, thanks

• 7. Re: can't open indesign 6
                      5design5 Level 1

hi

reloaded and it seems to be ok again. well, ok for long enough for me to make the tiny change necessary on the doc i was working on. didn't change anything in fx so it probably wasn't that, although i'm no expert so who knows?

not much use really not finding out what the cause was, but that's how things go sometimes

all the best