7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2018 7:13 AM by Rick Gerard

Creating shapes from vector layers: Certian colours go grey

JoshHerlihey

Hello,

I am bringing in my illustrator files to after effects but whenever I "create shapes from vector layers" certain colours go grey? Other colours don't. It seems that any colour that wasn't from the default illustrator colour palette goes grey. my paths are closed there is no extra art-board. I've done this a million times but have never had this problem.  Please help. Screen shot 2014-11-23 at 1.04.44 PM.pngScreen shot 2014-11-23 at 1.04.54 PM.png

As you can see when I outline the gun it stays the same because it is made with colours from the default colour palette but when the money is outlined it goes grey when it should go green.

• 1. Re: Creating shapes from vector layers: Certian colours go grey
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of Illustrator?

What version of AE?

(Exact version numbers down to the last decimal, please.)

• 2. Re: Creating shapes from vector layers: Certian colours go grey
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You have strokes and dynamic Pathfinders or groups in your artwork. Inevitably there is no way to convert it to a simple path. You need to work on the stuff in AI.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Creating shapes from vector layers: Certian colours go grey
              Welmers Media

I saw some of your replies and i hope you can help me out. I've this logo wich is created by another bureau. The structure was a big mess. I labeled everything and put it on different layers. When i put it into AE, and i create shapes from it, most layers becom grey. I think it has something to do with the gradient, and the transparancy or something but i can't figure it out. Could you provide me a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Welmers Media

Schermafbeelding 2018-03-19 om 12.32.29.png

• 4. Re: Creating shapes from vector layers: Certian colours go grey
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                I think it has something to do with the gradient, and the transparancy or something but i can't figure it out.

that's correct. gradients and transparency will turn grey upon conversion to shape layers. you can recreate those in Ae if you want. there's also a useful extension for making the transition from Ai to Ae more robust - Overlord — Battle Axe

• 5. Re: Creating shapes from vector layers: Certian colours go grey
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why do you want to convert that artwork to shape layers? Unless you are going to animate vector paths, use shape layer animators, or extrude a layer using the C4D or, heaven forbid, the Ray-traced rendering engines, there is absolutely no reason to convert a vector later from Illustrator to a shape layer. It is a complete waste of time and, as the others have pointed out, you lose all of the really wonderful design features you have in Illustrator that make that logo interesting.

If you must use shape layers and your original artwork has been converted to a gray fill then you have two options. One option is to add gradient fills, edit them to match the original artwork and do a bunch of other monkeying around to get the design back. If you need to extrude the layer I would do would use C4D lite to create the extrusions and texture the shapes using the original artwork. If you don't have those skills then you can convert the AI layers you need to extrude to shapes, make the shape layer the basic color of the original, turn on the original layer and place it above the converted layer, then extrude that layer to give it some depth. There is no reason you cannot stack the original artwork on top of the extrusion so you have some depth.

Since the convert vector layer to shapes was introduced I have seen so many folks needlessly do then conversion and then struggle with the limitations. Please tell me if you have some other reason to convert the layers. I think I have covered everything.

• 6. Re: Creating shapes from vector layers: Certian colours go grey
                    Welmers Media Level 1

Hey Rick,

Thanks for your reply. Actually im just starting to work with AE. It's never been my expertise. I had to recreate this logo cause the original was full of mistakes. The goal is to turn this piece into an animated 3d logo. I've watched a beginners tutorial to start with. And they showed how to turn the AI layers into shapes. That's why i was asking this question. If you could provide me a good tutorial to help me, that would be awesome.

• 7. Re: Creating shapes from vector layers: Certian colours go grey
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like you do not need to convert the layers to shapes. The beginners tutorial that you watched could have been created by a well-intentioned amateur. You really have to vet your trainers because more than half the tutorials that I have seen when trying to help folks solve problems promote inefficient and in many cases, dead-end workflows.

To point you in the right direction we need to understand what you want to do with the logo in detail. You could assemble the oval, make the car drive to its hero position, or just fly the pieces in.

You could animate the highlight in the red part of the oval and fly the glint around the perimeter. Animating that gradient would require converting that layer to a shape, deleting the gray fill, adding a gradient or maybe even two of them and then editing the gradient to match the original, then animating the gradient fill.

Let us know what you want to do and we can probably give you some direction, and make sure you vet your trainers so you don't waste a bunch of time fiddling around with advice that isn't any good.