2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2014 6:39 PM by Badly Drawn Boy

Lightroom performance issues after updating to new iMac

Badly Drawn Boy Level 1

I was using a late 2013 iMac with 3.5 Ghz i7 and 3 TB Fusion Drive and 32 GB of RAM, and had very good performance.

I recently upgraded to a retina iMac with 4.0 Ghz i7 and 512 GB SSD and 32 GB of RAM. I also bought a LaCie Big 1 TB external drive that has 1,300 MB/s read/write speeds, and put my Lightroom library, photos, and ACR cache on that drive.

Given these changes, I would have expected an increase in performance from my previous system. However, I'm seeing the opposite. In Lightroom when I apply a preset, I sometimes get a spinning beach ball for a couple of seconds before it applies. In Photoshop, using Google Nik filters, I when I move the sliders the effect isn't instantaneous as it used to be; instead, I see large chunks of the screen redrawing.

All other applications on my system seem to be running very well. Photoshop and LR both open faster than they did on my previous iMac. But using them seems slower, which perplexes me.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Lightroom performance issues after updating to new iMac
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would guess that the beach ball you are seeing is the generation of the 1:1 preview or how long it takes to calculate the entire raw instead of a lower res preview. The display on these new iMacs is so gigantic that the standard preview sizes are way too small (the max is 2880 pixels long, which is a factor of 2 too small for the retina display). The retina machine has 4x as many pixels as the older 27" iMac. The difference in speed between 4.0 Ghz and 3.5 GHz is not enough to make up for that difference in number of pixels that need to be calculated from the raw to make up for that, so you should see some decrease in speed if you use Lightroom full screen. Try making the Lightroom window about 1/4 of the screen and see if that changes things.

• 2. Re: Lightroom performance issues after updating to new iMac
            Badly Drawn Boy Level 1

Ah, I wondered if it might have something to do with the retina display. I tried what you suggested and made the LR window about 1/4 size of the display. I was then able to apply presets instantaneously, with no lag at all (much faster than my previous system). I also opened some images in Photoshop and the Nik filters, and reduced the window size. The Nik filters are still a bit more "laggy" than I would expect, but overall there was an improvement.

Is Adobe planning on updating the max preview size given these new displays?

I wish I would have considered this prior to purchase. Probably wouldn't have stopped me, because the retina display is so stunning, but the lag is really annoying.