10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 6:13 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Premiere Pro CC 2014

chargersrool

Just started learning how to use this and how to add transition during clips, there seems to be an issue with it. After each transition, the next clip pauses for some amount of miliseconds.

Anyone know why?

I want it to flow not pause during transitions.

It seems like after the transition effect (cross-fade) the clip unpauses.

This is how its appearing

Clip - Start of transition - Second clip pauses - End Transition - Second Clip Resumes

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On the overview page for these forums is a FAQ listing the typical things to include when you ask for help, makes it a LOT easier for the rest of the user base to have a clue what to suggest.

OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM ... specific to the dot & video drivers don't hurt.

Disc layout and connections.

Programs that have touched the footage and any effects  ... transcoders, plugins, any 3rd party stuff at all ... and to-the-dot again. For the Adobe programs, Help->About, lower left corner.

Sequence settings ...

Cameras & codecs/wrappers involved including frame size & rates.

Question ... there's a thin line above the timeline ... is it green, yellow, or red?

Neil

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
            chargersrool Level 1

The thin line above the timeline is yellow. Im going on youtube trying to see how others do the transition. When I add the transition youll notice the transition appears vertically center of the video.. Now when I check on youtube, it appears on the top for some people and the transition is written out. I dont know how to set it up like that... maybe thats the issue? See youtube video vs my version. I know im using CC and hes using CS6 but that shouldnt be the issue... or is CS6 better?

Premiere Pro CS6 Techniques: 31: Applying Transitions - YouTube

, premiere example.jpg

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

When you apply the transition, is it warning you that it will repeat frames?

You may not have enough of a handle to apply a proper transition. If the second clip starts at the beginning of the media, then you need to trim it back at least 15 frames so that Premiere Pro has something to cross-dissolve.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
                chargersrool Level 1

No warning, and i extended the transition outwards to way more than 15 and it still pauses.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

Just in case... here it is in more detail.

Let's say that each video clip is exactly 10 seconds long. You trim back the end of the first one and now it is only 9.5 seconds long.

You get all but the last half second.

Then you trim away the first 15 frames of the second video. So you get all but the first half second.

Put those together and drop a 30 frame transition on the cut. There should be no pauses.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
                    chargersrool Level 1

Thats crap though, it should happen without me having to edit every transition. Im looking for a way to globally remove the issue, there has to be a way.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Chargersrool,

chargersrool wrote:

Thats crap though, it should happen without me having to edit every transition. Im looking for a way to globally remove the issue, there has to be a way.

Sorry, that's just the way it is in every NLE. You trim to acquire "handles" for creating the overlapping media required for transitions.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
                        chargersrool Level 1

Thanks Kevin,

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong... I add transitions in photoshop CS6 with ease without a pause, but with Premiere I get the pause.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
                          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the written documentation and in every video tutorial I've seen on these and ALL editing programs from AdobeTV, Creative Cow, lynda-dot-com and a couple others, it is ALWAYS noted that you have put enough length on the source clips when shooting to have room for adding transitions in editing. Because ... the way ALL NLE's work, you set your in & out points, drop onto timeline ... for several clips. Drop transitions over ... the transition will center itself over the cut between the clips, BUT ... it will start before the cut (whatever frame number/duration it's set for) by playing that length of time BEFORE the cut from the "handle" of the second cut. Then after the cut extend the first clip for whatever duration that side of the transition is set for.

You have to have those "handles" either side of the cut available ... it's something you learn to do period, for ALL cuts, ALL editing material into the timeline ... in any NLE.

Otherwise, do you expect the program to overlap the second clip over the first clip to start the transition, then overlap the first clip over the second clip to end the transition? If so, every cut/transition, you're losing that many frames or seconds of actual timeline length ... which would be a truly bizarre thing to have to figure out over the length of your program.

Neil

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

In the old days of DV, like back in Premiere 6.0, about a dozen years ago, before they started over and called it Premiere Pro, you had to overlap the two clips on different tracks, and put the transition on the special track between them.

That solved the overlap issue because you could actually see the overlap.

Believe me, it took some time for me to get used to single track editing the way we do it now.