6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2014 1:27 PM by liolee08

how to use Event Tracking Code for Google Analytics in Dreamweaver CS5

liolee08 Level 1

I need to track clicks on links that go to an outside website. I've read about "event tracking code". I'm not sure if it's the right tool to use. And if it is, I've spent several hours reading about it and I can't figure out how to use it. It looks like you need to be an expert developer to be able to make sense of all this. I've always been helped when I ask a question here, I'm hoping that someone can help me.

What my client needs is to know what links are being clicked, and how often. Here's the page where I want to do this: Available Homes - Arizona Vacation Home Rentals 

I added a code that I created using the tool I found here: General Event Tracking Code for Google Analytics but can't see to be able to make this work. I added this code to the first link called "View it Here" for the top, left house. Here's the code: <a href="http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3495538" onClick="ga('send', 'event', { eventCategory: 'clicks', eventAction: 'clicks on homes', eventLabel: 'Clicked'});" target="_blank">View it HERE!</a> 

Then I set a Goal in Google Analytics like it said in the instructions but it doesn't seem to work... I would APPRECIATE ANY HELP!

Thanks,

Brigitte