6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 8:13 AM by Shepster

Canon 7d mark ii gps data not recognized in lightroom 5.7

Shepster Level 1

How do I get lightroom to find and use my gps meta data from my new Canon 7d mark ii. I can see that there is a file generated on the card but it isn't in my meta data when downloaded on to Lightroom. I am using a MAC user. When using my old Pentax system with geo tagging to came across automatically in older versions of Lightroom so I know it should be seamless.

• 1. Re: Canon 7d mark ii gps data not recognized in lightroom 5.7
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR 5.7 on Windows 7 or 8.1.2 shows the locations from GPS coordinates embedded by my 7D Mark II just fine.  It takes quite a while for the camera find enough satellites so unless I wait for a minute or two out in the open the first few pictures won't have any information.  If it matters, I also have my compass enabled and create a log file, but I've never downloaded the log file, because the coordinates are in the raws and jpgs, only the videos don't, but jpgs shot during the video do have coordinates.

Here are the image locations for pictures from a hike in a nearby park:

• 2. Re: Canon 7d mark ii gps data not recognized in lightroom 5.7
            Shepster Level 1

I did wait for a significant amount of time and the camera showed the GPS as located prior to taking the photos. when I bring up the card on the computer it shows an attached GPS file. By the way, did you have to go through the step of downloading the file onto the card under the GPS logger "transfer log data to card" prior to uploading it to lightroom?

• 3. Re: Canon 7d mark ii gps data not recognized in lightroom 5.7
              Shepster Level 1

After reading your comment more closely it looks like I shouldn't need to deal the "transfer log data" in order to get this to work. I will try giving it more time before taking the pics and see if that makes a difference. Maybe just because the GPS icon stops flashing it still hasn't located enough of a signal.

• 4. Re: Canon 7d mark ii gps data not recognized in lightroom 5.7
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Once the GPS indicator is solid the camera should be embedded the GPS data in the photos.  There is no need to offload the GPX track log and have LR use that.  If that's what you're doing, maybe LR does have a problem reading the Canon 7D Mark II GPX log file, but there's no need, just let LR import the photos with the coordinates stored in the photo files.

Otherwise, are you using some software (including LR) to transfer the photos from the camera or card, that could be stripping out the GPS data?  I use Windows Explorer (like Mac Finder) to copy my photos so nothing is stripping anything out of them.

Have you examined the photos with any other software to see if there are coordinates?  On Windows I'd use GeoSetter.  I don't know what the Mac has.

If you want someone to test, can you upload a raw file that was shot when the GPS indicator was on but not blinking, directly from the card to somewhere like http://www.dropbox.com/ and post a public download/share link to it, here?

• 5. Re: Canon 7d mark ii gps data not recognized in lightroom 5.7
                  Shepster Level 1

The GPS information is in the file, I can see it after capture when I push the "Info" button. Still not showing up in the Meta data in Lightroom any ideas?

• 6. Re: Re: Canon 7d mark ii gps data not recognized in lightroom 5.7
                    Shepster Level 1

I found the problem. Within my metadata preset the information under camera setting had been checked but it looks like you have to also uncheck the box to the right of the specific data or it will not populate.