3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 7:11 PM by A.T. Romano

How to archive project on DVD when project size is larger?

AlanKL Level 1

I just finished a project.  The archiving sizes are as follows:

1.  Save Original project size is 4.3gb;  project size is 3.2 GB.  This looks OK and I should have no problem with one DVD because standard DVD is 4.7gb.

However, I'd like to save each full file used, not just the clipped portions.  Just in case later I want to make additional edits.  But the copy project size is 5.8gb (original size is 6.2gb).  Can I save to two 4.7gb DVD's?  How do you do this and how do you restore later?  Or do I have to use a double sided DVD?

As an aside, what's the difference between project size and original size?

Thanks  Alan

• 1. Re: How to archive project on DVD when project size is larger?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?

About disc capacity....there is the label value and the actual

Blu-ray Disk 25 GB, actual 23.28 GB

Blu-ray Disk 50 GB, actual 46.56 GB

DVD Disk 4.7 GB, actual 4.38 GB

DVD Double Layer (Single Sided) 8.5 GB, actual 7.95 GB

The USB Flash Drives come in a variety of capacities. My 8 GB USB Flash Drive has an actual capacity of 7.25 GB.

As for Project Archiver/Copy Option and its Original Project Size and New Saved Project Size, my take on that is the following.

The project file itself is in KB and is not going to factor in much to the total size of the Copied Folder.

But, the source media that are used in the Timeline and in the Project Assets will.

With the Copy Project option, the Original Size is expected to be the sum of the Timeline file sizes (plus the file sizes of the files that got brought into

Project Assets and were never dragged to the Timeline. For the Copied Folder, I would expect the New Saved Project Size to be

equal to the Original Project Size. I envision these as estimates which need to take into account contribution to the size of the cfa and pek

files for the conformed audio of the copied video files, preview files, etc.

The Project Archiver/Archive Project and the resulting Trimmed Folder is an interesting matter. It has not worked as advertized from after version 8 to version 12. It now seems to be working in Premiere Elements 13.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/09/pe-creating-new-trimmed-project.html

But, back to your original question...I would determine the actual size of the Copied Folder that ends up on the hard drive and then decide Disc or USB Flash Drive.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to archive project on DVD when project size is larger?
            AlanKL Level 1

I'm running Win 8.1 and Premiere 12.  What do you suggest?

• 3. Re: How to archive project on DVD when project size is larger?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Thanks for the reply.

As I suggested at the end of my post numbered 1 in your thread,

I would determine the actual size of the Copied Folder that ends up on the hard drive and then decide Disc or USB Flash Drive.

Depending on how many Copied Folders you want to save, I would probably try starting with an 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive. If you do not have one

already, you could probably purchase one for less the $10.00 US dollars. By now, they probably come as 8 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive.

ATR