6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 11:25 PM by Crooker6880

trouble importing cinepro avi video

Crooker6880

Hi.  I have a bit of a newbie question.

I've created some video with the Cinepro codec in .avi form (with Vmix video switching software).  Recording at 1080/60i.

Trying to import it into Premiere Pro CC (Trial) for editing, I'm getting lots of green frames flashing, and it seems impossible to edit this codec.  It works everywhere else I try to play it including the crappy windows movie maker software.

Anyone give me advice how to get my cinepro .avi's to work in Premiere Pro?

(The files are recorded in 10 minute chunks and are about 6 GB's a piece)

• 1. Re: trouble importing cinepro avi video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVI is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

>Cinepro codec in .avi form

Does Cinepro have a download site for your to install an editing codec from them?

• 2. Re: trouble importing cinepro avi video
            Crooker6880 Level 1

I've run MediaInfo (Good program by the way), and this is the information I got:

General

Complete name                       : D:\battle - 22 November 2014 - 07-59-48 PM - 00001.avi

Format                                   : AVI

Format/Info                             : Audio Video Interleave

Format profile                         : OpenDML

File size                                : 6.10 GiB

Duration                                 : 10mn 0s

Overall bit rate                         : 87.3 Mbps

Video

ID                                       : 0

Format                                   : CineForm

Codec ID                                 : CFHD

Codec ID/Info                            : CineForm 10-bit Visually Perfect HD (Wavelet)

Duration                                 : 9mn 59s

Bit rate                                 : 85.7 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate                               : 59.940 fps

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.690

Stream size                              : 5.99 GiB (98%)

Again, I am very new to this, so I am constantly learning new things.  I appreciate any insight you may have.

It may also be important to note that I am using the TRIAL version of Premiere Pro CC.  I'm not sure if it cripples video output or not (I didn't think it did)

• 3. Re: trouble importing cinepro avi video
              Crooker6880 Level 1

With regards to your question:  Does Cinepro have a download site for your to install an editing codec from them?

I'm not sure.

Any research I've done has only ever turned up information about EXPORTING video in the Cineform codec.

The cineform codec comes with the GoProStudio software (which I have installed).

But very little about issues surrounding importing into Premiere...  and everything I've read simply states that Premiere Pro CC natively supports the Cineform codec, which should preclude me from having these issues in the first place.

*frustrated*

• 4. Re: trouble importing cinepro avi video
                Crooker6880 Level 1

Hmmm... I'm sure there is an answer for this, but I'm not sure what it is:

When I reduce the sequence framerate from 59.94 to 29.97, it starts working fine.  Perfectly.

Any ideas why this is?

FOLLOW UP:  No... This isn't the solution because some of the files are still screwing up (flashing GREEN) and Premiere is crashing too.

• 5. Re: trouble importing cinepro avi video
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't use gopro or cineform, but I do have a few links that may help

GoPro http://forums.adobe.com/message/4486784

-below says Mac (Win process should be the same) but even GoPro says to convert to edit

-http://gopro.com/how-to-prepare-video-files-for-editing-apple-mac/

-use to convert http://gopro.com/software-app/cineform-studio/

• 6. Re: trouble importing cinepro avi video
                    Crooker6880 Level 1

Yeah, here's the worst thing.

I tried opening the video in Cineform studio. But when I click on the IMPORT, it only allows me to import MOV or MP4 files.  There's no ability to import .avi files.  And if I try, it just ignores me.

This is a cluster-bug.