10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2014 6:38 PM by A.T. Romano

How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?

TidyCup Level 1

How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?

• 1. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you editing, and what are your DVD creation settings?

A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

• 2. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

TidyCup

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Was this "video ghosting effect" present immediately at import of the file into the project or did it result from your editing of the

Timeline content?

What are the properties of your source video - especially interlaced or progressive frame rate and, if interlaced, upper or lower

field first?

What did you set as the project preset to match the properties of the source video?

Did you use one of the Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders project presets or did you use a non Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders project preset and then apply Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance to the video at the Timeline level?

Looking forward to more information so that we might customize a reply for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
              TidyCup Level 1

Hi Romano,

Thanks for the information. To better clarify problem.  I shot a video using  Cannon AX-20. The video was recorded onto a 32 GB card. The video was uploaded to window 7 and imported to premiere elements 12. It doesn't appear that there is a problem with the raw video. I am using an older version of  Nero Vision to burn the finish product to a DVD that can be viewed on a television. I notice when a slow pan in done the image flicker, ghosting or jitter on the DVD. This also occurs sometimes on a straight on shot with the background behind the subject. Thanks for your help.

Sam

• 4. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Sam

Are you setting your Canon AX-20 to record interlaced or progressive video? From what I have read of your camera, it can record 59.94i which is really 29.97 interlaced frame per second or 59.94p which is actually 59.94 progressive frames per second.

If you have interlaced video as the source, it is likely to have Field Order = Upper Field first instead of Lower Field first. Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc uses Lower Field first. So, some field consideration may have to enter into this project - let us see.

1. What are the properties of your source file...1920 x 1080 @ ________?

2. What project preset are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

Please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

3. Let us get 1 and 2 established, then we will right click the imported video on the Timeline, select Field Options and then Reverse Field Dominance.

4. Then we can proceed to menus and burn to.

We will be watching for your further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
                  TidyCup Level 1

ART

The camera recorded the video 29.97 fps. Editing mode HD 1080i, Time base 29.97 fps, frame size 1920 horizontals 1080, pixel aspect ratio square pixels 1.0 field, upper field test display format 30fps drop frame, title safe area 20% horizontal 10%, sample rate 4800 Hz, display format audio sample, capture format HDV

Sam

• 6. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

TidyCup

Thanks for the additional information. One more important piece of information needed....

Did your camera record your source video at 29.97 interlaced or 29.97 progressive frames per second - 1080i or 1080p - and sometimes the interlaced version is written as 50i or 60i instead of 25 or 29.97.

Your project preset has been set for the program's default which is for interlaced video, with Upper Field First.

If you tell me that your camera recorded progressive footage, then you have the wrong project preset.

If you tell me that your camera recorded interlaced footage, then we leave the project preset at the default, and we will apply

Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance after the source video is imported.

Looking forward to your details.

Many thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 7. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
                      TidyCup Level 1

Hi ATR,

The media was recorded in 1080p 29.97 progressive. Any recommendations on a very good burning software?

Sam

• 8. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Sam

Thanks for the important additional information.

If your source media were recorded 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, then you were not using the correct project preset for the project (as reflected by your Edit Menu/Project Settings/General readings).

Please give the following a try and see if the results are improved

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit

Set the project preset manually....Open Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In the Change Settings area, change the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

As you close out of that area, you will see the New Project Dialog. Make sure that it has a check mark there next to "Force Selected Project

Setting on This Project". Close out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to import your source 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

For your export

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

Burn To: Disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
                          TidyCup Level 1

ART-

Thanks so much for the information. I will follow your instructions step-by-step and will let you know the final result. I am assuming the older version of  Nero Vision will work fine.

Sam

• 10. Re: How to remove a video ghosting effect for a dvd smooth playback?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Sam

What are you planning on doing...burn to folder and then let Nero take the VIDEO_TS from the saved folder to DVD? Or, just do the whole thing in Nero.

All my Nero software is non current and still remains a valuable asset. It all came with burners that I purchased. In the case of the Nero software that was bundled with burner, you need to make sure that it has all the DVD-VIDEO features. Sometimes you run into "need to update to a purchased version to get a DVD working feature".

Looking forward to your results when you have time to post again.

Thank you.

ATR