NimChimpski Level 1

Hi All

I have recently got a new PC

32 gig ram

Gigabyte mother GA-X99-UD4

K4000

i7 5930

SSD raid 5

and I am getting crashes. I have looked at the resource monitor and it seems to be network I/O.

Not sure what is going on.network io wait.PNG

cheers

• 1. Re: Network I/O wait chain
          NimChimpski Level 1

oh . . .W8.1

and CC 2014 up to date.

• 2. Re: Network I/O wait chain
            NimChimpski Level 1

I have tried pulling out the ethernet cable so there is no network but it still waits for minutes to start rendering with the network I/O thing

• 3. Re: Network I/O wait chain
              NimChimpski Level 1

I think this is all related but not sure what the source is - everything seems to have the network I/O but I noticed the SSD raid is tanking - I think I might change it to raid 0 instead of raid 5.

and I just got this error on a render from AE:

internal verification error.PNG

I realise that this is not the AE forum but it all seems to be part and parcel

cheers

• 4. Re: Network I/O wait chain
                NimChimpski Level 1

well this thread is starting to feel like a conversation with my self so I just thought I would let myself know that rebuilding the raid to 0 (stripe) has changed the disc speed stats from 230 mps to about 1350 mps! Premiere is still a little stuttery but I do have a bunch of layers doing a lot of work and K4000 is good but not a Tesla K80.

Any tips or suggestions from those many more sage than I would be appreciated!

cheers

• 5. Re: Network I/O wait chain
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Adobe uses the Networking protocols for Dynamic link. If your linking AE comps to Premiere or linking Premiere to AE then that uses Networking. Also Networking is used for some players as well depending on the players required for the codec. The K4000 unfortunately does not have near the GPU acceleration performance capability as a 780Ti, 970GTX, or 980GTX not to mention a Titan card. AE however does use the video cards for much at all compared to Premiere so the performance in AE will be decided by the CPU and Ram. If you have AE comps linked into Premiere then the performance on playback will be limited because of the networking protocols involved for the dynamic linking. This adds latency and changes how AE can process the comp. I suggest you render out the AE comps as media and import them to replace the comps in the timeline if the performance is an issue. If you were running the SSD drives in raid 5 on the onboard controller then the performance is very poor. I don't recommend Raid 5 at all on the onboard controllers regardless of the drives. If you need raid 5 then get a SAS raid controller card. If raid 0 is good enough and your archive process is solid then raid 0 on the onboard is fine.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Network I/O wait chain
                    NimChimpski Level 1

Thanks for the response Eric. I got the K4000 because the old box (Z600) didn't have the power supply for GeForce cards and I have now swapped it into a new box of my own. I did have multiple 2K greenscreens linked to AE but already stumbled into your recommendation for rendering out for Premiere. The thing that changed everything was re raiding to stripe. The performance improvement has put me where I was hoping. I now have SSD system drive, SSD cache and Raid 0 media/project drive. Disc speed test shows average 500mps on the non raids and 1200-1500 on the stripe. I think the wait chain pointing to network might be a bit of a red herring as the screenshot shows, the D drive is through the roof and likely what is really going on(?).

cheers

• 7. Re: Network I/O wait chain
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Dynamic linking still has to reference and cache the AE media and media cache so yes the drive activity will be high for that drive. However the network processing is slower than the drive processing in that pipeline. So if you link AE comps in then the performance will drop. Drive speed wont change that. Beyond that if the performance is good enough for you then sounds like all is well.

Eric

ADK