3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 10:55 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements Project Problems - Different Computer/Version

Mikkydean1

Hi,

I used to work with Premiere Elements a lot a few years ago. I worked on a Windows Vista PC with Premiere Elements 8 (I think!) and burned my finished movies to DVD. After I had finished each project, I ran the project archiver and sent the archived files to an external hard drive.

I've since moved to a different computer (with Windows 7). I thought it would be good idea to open the old projects again and run off some digital copies that I can stream directly to my TV (via an Apple TV). The most recent version of Premiere Elements for which I have a licence is version 11.

So, I copied over my old project folders back to the new PC. These seem to contain everything that I would need (.prel file, .avi files, .jpg files, .tga files and various others). I can open the projects in Premiere Elements and everything seems fine at first glance. The timeline appears and a video preview appears above it.

However, as soon as I try to play any video, it plays for about a second and then freezes. The sound continues, but the image itself is frozen. If I click forward through the timeline, the images after the first screen are all black. I've tried rendering the movie etc. without success.

I tried to create a copy for Apple TV anyway using the presets provided. Again, this seemed to work and Premiere Elements created a file that I could open. However, this simply flashed through the entire movie in about a second and then displayed a black screen.

The .avi files themselves play back without problems.

Are there any potential workarounds or am I going to have to start again from scratch? I have over 30 home movies and was hoping this would be quite a quick process!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements Project Problems - Different Computer/Version
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the source of the original AVI files, and what is inside the files... and if the files are not "vanilla" AVI, do you have the codec installed?

AVI is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements Project Problems - Different Computer/Version
            Mikkydean1 Level 1

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

All the work that I have performed with the files to date has been within PE, so I would assume they are in a format that the program can work with correctly. The footage was originally on a DV camcorder, and - from what I can remember - I imported it into PE using the "Import" function. It's all a few years ago now, but that's the way that I would usually work. Since I posted earlier, I've also been able to track down the box for the software I used at the time and it was actually PE4 not 8 as I had originally guessed (if that makes a difference).

I installed the program that you mentioned. I've run it on a few of the AVI files and get slightly different information. Here are some examples:

Screenshot.png

Screenshot2.png

Thanks,

Adam

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements Project Problems - Different Computer/Version
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Adam

If you created these projects in Premiere Elements 4 or 8.0/8.0.1, the old advice is to fine the project in the version in which it was created since there is

no guarantee that the project from the earlier version with open in the later version. All that being said, often you can do this task successfully.

In your case, the major non support between 4/8 and 11 is those .tga files. They are not supported by Premiere Elements 11, 12, or 13.

I know .tga was supported by version 4 and 8.

Tga presented in 4 and 8 as Title Template files. How many Title Templates do you have in one of those 4 or 8 projects?

Please clarify.....

a. how did you archive the original project - Archive Project (Trimmed Folder) or Copy Project (Copied Folder)

b. are you having problems with just the Title Templates when you open one of these 4 or 8 project files in Premiere Elements 11?

ATR