9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 4:10 AM by garyy60675950

Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?

camilo umana Level 1

I need to use a variable to insert the chapter's name in some page (example b, white).

Two options give the variables: paragraph or character style.

Using paragraph style/rule/gap color (to get a rounded corner) does not allow that the length size of each text gets adjusted (example a, white). Is not dynamic as character style that gets adapted to any text, short or long.

If the frame is enlarged to the longest texts the shortest ones will get extra space (example c).

But using a character style/underline allows the text adapts perfectly to short or long situations as in example a/b with yellow underline.

It is possible to obtain the effect with rounded corners?

Untitled-2.jpg

• 1. Re: Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure I understand completely what you are doing, but two things come to mind.

First, if you use the same stroke style for an underline and a paragraph rule, they should appear visually the same, so I don't see that as an issue.

Second, I think you should be able to achieve your variable-length lines more easily using a paragraph rule, with the width set too text length rather than column width, and perhaps a small amount of negative left and right indent to run past the ends slightly, something you cannot do with an underline.

• 2. Re: Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?
            camilo umana Level 1

Hi Peter,

I fixed the paragraph options to text instead of column but ID damages the text. (example a)

I need to obtain the effect in  b) example.

How you do it when setting the frame width in master pages?

Because a short frame will damage text (example a) and a larger one will give unnecessary white space for short texts...

BUT using a character style+underline option (in the example yellow is used instead of white...) will be perfect BUT with a straight corner, instead of  a rounded border, the asked condition.

• 3. Re: Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can set the corner on your underline in the same way you set it for the paragraph rule.

Can you show us a screen shot of what happens when you set the rule to text?

• 4. Re: Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?
                vinny38 Level 4

Hi

As Peter said, setting your paragraph style rule in order to adjust to text width should do the job.

If your text is "condensed" like in your example A, you just have to enlarge it in your master page.

You won't have your example C problem anymore, since you did set the rule to "Text"...

Don't use underlines because you cannot indent right/left gaps...

let us know...

• 5. Re: Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?
                  camilo umana Level 1

The problem using paragraph-variable is those white spaces (example c) instead of the required adjusted ones (example b).

And ID does not offer a solution to set a simple witdh as happens with the character style option...

You are right, I can give to the underline effect a rounded form.

• 6. Re: Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?
                    camilo umana Level 1

Adjusting to column or to text the right width will always depend on the length of the frame...that cannot be made automatically (contrary to to the character style where the text is dynamic)

Condensed text is a compression effect originated by ID when this type of frames have not the length of the text (the heart of this thread)

Yes, right/left indent should be a must here.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?
                      vinny38 Level 4

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how you get white spaces while rule is adjusted to text.

It definitely not depend on the length of the frame (unless frame is too small, but this is an understood issue).

I feel like I just missed something obvious...

test.jpg

• 8. Re: Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?
                        camilo umana Level 1

Peter and Vinny,

After restarting ID the problem was solved and now I have all headings related to the variable in the master page rightly formatted with paragraph rules options.

It is a little weird as my excamples showed some problem.

Thanks. I muss rectify as the post was partially true but now anything is happily fine.

Both of you were right mentioning that it was possible. For me it is a correct answer!

For whom?

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Paragraph rules or character (underline) rules using variables?
                          garyy60675950 Level 1

This is an old thread that I just stumbled upon, but I came up with an answer to your original question. I too want to use a rule of a specified width as an accent beneath a certain paragraph style. The easiest solution I found is this:

1. Create a character style (I called mine Nested Green Rule) that applies an underline with a specific stroke weight, color, and offset value (in my case, a solid green stroke of 5 pts offset 24 pts.
                          2. Edit the paragraph style that controls the text you always want the stroke accent to appear beneath by adding two nested styles. The first is [None] up to 1 End Nested Style Here. The second is the name of your character style (in my case, Nested Green Rule) through a specified number of characters (in my case, I indicated 3 characters).
                          3. To activate the rule, simply insert your text cursor before the word under which you want the rule to appear, then insert the End Nested Style Here marker.

Included below are three images. The first is a screen shot of the nested style mentioned in step 2 (above). The next two images are examples of the stroke as I'm using it in my document. For the multi-line example, I inserted the End Nested Style Here marker before the first word on the second line. For the single-line example, I inserted the End Nested Style Here marker before the first word.

Capture 3.png

Capture 1.png

Capture 2.png

1 person found this helpful