4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 10:10 AM by Peter Spier

Missing links when different users open a file

Jamie-H

I'll try to sum this up as best I can. All mentioned files (InDesign and linked assets) are on a server. Mac OSX 10.9.4, InDesign CC

Some colleagues and I access the same InDesign files from time to time, what we're noticing is that when one of us opens the file all is well, however when another user opens the file all of the links are missing. If I open the file and links are missing and I relink all instances, save and close, and then another user opens the file—all the links are missing on her machine. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks,

Jamie

• 1. Re: Missing links when different users open a file
          Sequel Studio

I'm having the same problem I think!  Only we're still using cs5.5.  We're not supposed to work off the server at my new job. so we copy the file to our computer. If the file is packaged to the server by someone or packaged locally then copied to the server, then someone else copies the indd file to their computer and opens it, all the links are pointing to the wrong place and missing.  But, if I open that same file directly from the server, all the links are fine?  the same thing happens if a user links to files on the server, then copies that indd file to the server, then someone else copies it and opens the file.  But, if the file is opened from the server, the links are fine!?

• 2. Re: Missing links when different users open a file
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the entire package is copied, ID should find the links, otherwise, moving just the .indd is going to be problematic. For what it's worth, this workflow is a recipe for errors, if not disaster. How many copies of the links are now circulating? Client assets that need to be linked should be stored centrally so they can be updated across all files as needed.

• 3. Re: Missing links when different users open a file
              Sequel Studio Level 1

OH MY GOD TELL ME ABOUT IT!  It's the source of my frustration with this new job.  I come from a company where everyone knew production and best practices for sharing files over the network and this kind of thing never happened.  And here no one knows how to do anything but think they have this awesome workflow.  And no one knows how to use the software to it's fullest and make things so difficult.  There's insane file duplication on multiple share points of my server and no one is willing to change the way they work.  I've been here for 2 months and like every day i find something else that they do inefficiently and refuse to change. 

Back to the issue.  I did some troubleshooting and found that when I packaged a file locally, then copied that package to the server that's when the links break because the indd file is still pointing to the local package folder.  I'm so used to packaging to the server that i didn't think of that possibility.

Thanks for your input!  Other than their nightmare file management, this new place is great though (not that that matters with this post...just saying)

• 4. Re: Missing links when different users open a file
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Moving the package should break the links (which are absolute), but if the prefs are set to find missing links on open ID should find them in the links folder next to where the .indd is located that you are opening. That's the whole point of packaging.